2021 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

Adam Vinatieri still wants to kick at age 48.  Nobody signed him last year even with expanded COVID practice rosters, and he had to get surgery late in the season.  Tough to imagine him getting the chance but I'm sure being stuck at 599 career field goals is a big motivator to keep going.

I hate the Pats but if they end up out of it by their week 17 home game they should say screw it and let him get #600 in Foxboro.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LL! said:

Cowboys continue to find ways to sabotage themselves by hiring Ben McAdoo as a consultant. 

Sounds like McAdoo about nothing

• Admin

The Atlanta Falcons have discussed several offers for wide receiver Julio Jones, including an offer of a future first-round draft pick, sources told ESPN's Dianna Russini. Atlanta has asked teams that have inquired about Jones for a first-round draft pick in return, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday.

Alzado should be a cautionary tale. He believed that his anabolic steroid use caused the brain cancer that eventually killed him.

Romanowski only played briefly for the Raiders at the end of his career, but he had a reputation as a dirty player long before that. And yes, he should have gone to jail for what he did. It also ended that player's career, and he wasn't awarded nearly enough when he sued Romanowski. He's got to be the dirtiest player in NFL history.

Edited by GhostMachine

Romanowski is one of those guys who got away with so much because of the way he looked. Sports media would have covered him totally different were he black. Like, Vontaze Burfict is a very dirty player but the outrage over him doesn't carry over to a guy like Romanowski who always got to tell "his side of the story".

It really encapsulates so much that's wrong with our society.

This probably only interests me but I think this would be very cool. Always love it when guys return to the team that gave them a chance after getting paid/bigger roles elsewhere. 

• Like 1

• Admin

EDMONTON, Alberta -- The Edmonton CFL franchise has changed its team name to Elks.

The club made the announcement Tuesday.

Edmonton dropped its longtime name, Eskimos, last year after a similar decision by the NFL's Washington team amid pressure on franchises to eliminate racist or stereotypical names.

It had been called the Edmonton Football Team up until the announcement, but its logo continued to feature two Es.

Elks was one of seven potential name changes the Edmonton Football Team provided on its short list. The others included: Evergreens, Evergolds, Eclipse, Elkhounds, Eagles and Elements.

When the Edmonton Football Team announced last year that it was discontinuing its old name, team president Chris Presson said it was the franchise's hope to keep its double-E logo and green and gold colors.

The decision came following a review by the franchise after it twice opted to maintain its team name.

The "Eskimos" moniker has been tied to sports teams in Edmonton since the 19th century, but critics say the name is derogatory and a colonial-era term for Inuit.

In February 2020, the franchise announced it was keeping the name after a yearlong research period that involved Inuit leaders and community members across Canada.

Then on July 8, the club promised to speed up another review of its name and provide an update by month's end. In that statement, the Edmonton franchise noted that "a lot has happened" since the decision in February.

One of the team's sponsors, national car-and-home insurance provider Belairdirect, had announced it was rethinking its relationship with the team because of the name.

Others added that they would welcome a review of the name.

This all happened as NFL's Washington team had said it would undergo a thorough review of its name.

A similar announcement was made by Major League Baseball's Cleveland team, which is switching its name.

The Edmonton name change comes in time for the resumption of CFL play.

The league has tentatively scheduled starting a 14-game 2021 season Aug. 5 after not playing in 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

There had been repeated calls in the past for the Edmonton team to change its name. In 2015, Canada's national Inuit organization had said it was time for a change.

Founded in 1949, the Edmonton team has won the Grey Cup 14 times, second only to the Toronto Argonauts at 17.

The community-owned club's impressive history on the field includes a record five consecutive Grey Cups from 1978 to 1982.

Edmonton qualified for the playoffs in 34 straight seasons from 1972 to 2005.

• Like 2

I was rooting for Evergreens but Elks works too.

2 hours ago, Toe said:

I love that rebrand for Edmonton. The only CFL game I saw in person was Edmonton VS. Saskatchewan at The Brick Field, and Salt N' Pepa were the half-time show.

I saw Baltimore vs. Saskatchewan way back in 1995. Good team that Baltimore squad was.

• Like 1