Football Manager 2023

Lineker

I'm surprised they've not bought out one of those mods like NewGAN and just incorporated that into the game. Unless there's some questions of legalities with AI generated stuff.

14 hours ago, Baddar said:

Miles has said that so far, they're only committing to 23>24 in terms of save transfers.

I'm not sure how the Unity engine works, but some were suggesting on Twitter that because of it, it could mean the end of graphic packs which would disappoint a lot of people.

I don't see how that would be the case, there's a load of games made with Unity with really vibrant modding scenes.

• Like 1

Caved a couple of weeks ago and finally purchased this years version of the game.

Started off as Chester manager in the Vanarama North and managed to get to the FA Cup 3rd Round with an away tie at Watford in which I got absolutely battered but still financially it put the club in a really good place. A middling FA trophy run accompanied that but won the league with 100 points. 

First season in the Vanarama started off really well then hit a rough patch, was top and then due to how tight the league is I ended up about 8th just outside the playoff positions. Oldham offered me a job and I took it so despite dropping down in position, the appeal of professional status and bigger wage budget to work with to build a team made it easy for me to leave. 

Currently 9th with Oldham, 1 point ahead of Chester and 4 points off playoff positions. There's a gap between 5th and 6th so the best I can really hope for is to finish in the 6th/7th position. 

• Like 2

I went back to playing my FM16 game the last couple of weekends. After Unai Emery left them for Man Utd (and eventually took their top scorer Belgian international David Mabiala) Parkvilla fell off a cliff under interim manager Claudio Marchisio. They finished a distant second to my Dundalk team. They also sit bottom of their Champions League group and won't make it out of the group stages. This isn't a great look for the 4 times CL winners who were the previous season's runner-up. Despite this, they gave Marchiso the job full time and he appointed Roy Keane as his assistant. They did win the League Cup though.

Meanwhile, Dundalk went unbeaten, won the FAI Cup, and have a reasonably good chance of reaching the Champions League knockouts from a group with Inter, Sporting and Shakhtar Donetsk. I also managed to lure my absolute boy Jamie Watters (Parkvilla's all-time leading goalscorer) back to Ireland from Juventus.

As Ireland's manager, we're still #1 in the world. I had considered quitting after winning the World Cup but hung around. I've won all of my games and we've sailed through a nations league group with Denmark and Portugal. I don't really like being the Ireland manager but I keep going at it for some reason. Will I quit after the nations league or after the Euros? Who knows.

Looked at some of the managers in my save.

Adrian Mutu is at Ebbsfleet.

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar manages Bolton.

Antonio Rudiger coaches Walsall (they've also had Maarten Stekelenburg, Hugo Lloris, Marko Arnautovic and Aleksandar Dragovic)

Sol Campbell is at uh, Millwall.

7 hours ago, Gorka said:

Looked at some of the managers in my save.

Adrian Mutu is at Ebbsfleet.

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar manages Bolton.

Antonio Rudiger coaches Walsall (they've also had Maarten Stekelenburg, Hugo Lloris, Marko Arnautovic and Aleksandar Dragovic)

Sol Campbell is at uh, Millwall.

Never underestimate the pulling power of the utopian paradise known as Walsall.

• Like 1

I am trying to see if there's anything interesting manager-wise in my FM16 game.

• Ryan Giggs is Chelsea's manager.
  • Ryan Shawcross is at Everton.
  • After stints at Bournemouth, Brentford and Arsenal - Steven Gerrard is currently unemployed.
  • Jamie Carragher is at Reading.
  • Brendan Rodgers is managing Atletico Madrid.
  • Thomas Tuchel is managing Bayern Munich.
  • Christiano Ronaldo is managing Vsitória de Guimarães
  • Zsolt Löw, who I guess is Tuchel's IRL assistant manager, is Man City coach.
  • Poch is managing Real
  • Alymeric Laporte is the manager of Napoli.
  • Zidane is the Portugal manager
  • Jurgen Klopp is managing Spain.
  • Vincent Kompany is at Dagenham and Redbridge
  • Ryan Bertrand is managing Luton
  • David Moyes managed Napoli to a league title before retiring.
  • Ronny Della is managing PSG.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hobo said:

I am trying to see if there's anything interesting manager-wise in my FM16 game.

• After stints at Bournemouth, Brentford and Arsenal - Steven Gerrard is currently unemployed.
  • Poch is managing Real

I didnt mention Jose Holebas was manager of Arsenal in game when i posted this.

Shortly after he was sacked with Arsenal in 16th at Christmas.

A few weeks later he became manager of Peterborough United in the Championship

On 09/07/2023 at 13:38, Hobo said:

• Poch is managing Real

Brendan is probably getting rid of all the Spanish players so they don't correct his Spanish.

On 30/06/2023 at 13:55, DavidMarrio said:

Caved a couple of weeks ago and finally purchased this years version of the game.

Started off as Chester manager in the Vanarama North and managed to get to the FA Cup 3rd Round with an away tie at Watford in which I got absolutely battered but still financially it put the club in a really good place. A middling FA trophy run accompanied that but won the league with 100 points. 

First season in the Vanarama started off really well then hit a rough patch, was top and then due to how tight the league is I ended up about 8th just outside the playoff positions. Oldham offered me a job and I took it so despite dropping down in position, the appeal of professional status and bigger wage budget to work with to build a team made it easy for me to leave. 

Currently 9th with Oldham, 1 point ahead of Chester and 4 points off playoff positions. There's a gap between 5th and 6th so the best I can really hope for is to finish in the 6th/7th position. 

Update:
Won the FA Trophy with Oldham by battering Southend 5-1 and managed to secure 7th in the table which meant I qualified for the playoffs. Managed to beat Solihull Moors on pens, Rochdale and then Gateshead in the final.

Did a complete renovation of the squad, focusing on free transfers and players aged up to around 23 and suprisingly I was top of the table by the back end of November and had qualified for the FA Cup 2nd round nad the Papa Johns 2nd round. This is where things took a turn as I started getting offers for job interviews by Derby and Coventry who were both struggling in the Championship. Decided in the end to take the Coventry job so they were 17th when I took over them. Played 8 games with them and my record is 4 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses which I'm quite happy with. Just want to finish mid table and see what happens.

Was quite shocked though that I managed to go from Vanarama National North up to League 2 and then completely skipped League 1. Seems the work I did with Oldham meant I was the current inthing 

Been doing a Wrexham save out of boredom. Won the Conference, League Two, and League One back to back to back. FM didn't give me transfer budgets ever really (although easily highest wage bill in Conference/League Two; I think we were 6th highest in League One, and we were 23rd in the Championship), and we were losing money all the time and relying on the sugar daddies to clear the debts at the end of every season. Championship season we were predicted to finish 21st out of 24th, but the free signings & loan signings hit, got hot after a rough start, and finished in the Top 6.

Was ready to save scum in the Playoffs. Was up 2-0 over Blackburn after the first match, blew that in 20 minutes. Ended up scoring 3 of the 4 to go up 2 on aggregate again. Blackburn scored soon after to make it 4-3 on the night, 4-5 on aggregate. 5th minute of stoppage time, despite 4 minutes being added on, my keeper made such an error off a free kick that it felt right out of a FIFA save, finishing with him carrying the ball over his own goal line after dropping the ball before that. I was furious. Thankfully, we still won on penalties, and then beat Sunderland in the Playoff Finals.

Finally got money to spend in the transfer window after promotion, but even after spending like £30m, our wage bill was still like £25m and the next cheapest wage bill was £75m. Definitely had multiple matches of getting our butt kicked, but some of the signings did just enough to make sure we finished clear of a true relegation battle, even though we didn't actually guarantee survival until I think 3 matches to go. Finished 13th or 14th on 43 points.

Spent £500k twice on two players halfway through League One, but that was after selling my GK for £350K first. Got to spend £1.5m between two players for the Championship plus free signings, but actually had a net gain because of selling two players for £1m each. Was nice to finally actually make a profit once I got into the Premier League. Even in the Championship I was leaking money despite having such a small wage bill in comparison to everyone else.

I'm in a rut on my current save.

Started off as Kettering, got promoted to Vanarama National via the playoffs, the team were struggling so around Christmas I took the Exeter job in League One (love skipping years, me) and then managed to get them promoted through the play offs too!

I finished my first season in the Championship with Exeter one space outside of the playoffs, but financially the team were in such a bad place (half the next lowest team wage budget, no money, nobody really worth selling etc) so I took the Luton job, they'd just been relegated from the Premier League so thought they'd be in a good spot to bounce them right back, which I did, winning the league with mainly signing Under 21 potential wonder kids and their core squad from the relegation year.

Now in the Premier League, we're just struggling to kick on and it's kind of boring. I didn't actually want to play in the Premier League until I'd been around the big 5 first, but I couldn't land a decent foreign job at all, so I'm wallowing in boring Premier League mediocrity.

However, I did get in to international management, while at Exeter I managed Denmark to the knockout rounds of the European League schtick, leaving to take control of Uruguay in a World Cup year and won the World Cup with them!

So with a Championship trophy and a World Cup win under my belt I'm now Luton and England manager and bored out of my skull.

I'm debating a new save before 24, we've still got a few months but may want to do like a park to prem mod or something.

18 hours ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

Been doing a Wrexham save out of boredom. Won the Conference, League Two, and League One back to back to back. FM didn't give me transfer budgets ever really (although easily highest wage bill in Conference/League Two; I think we were 6th highest in League One, and we were 23rd in the Championship), and we were losing money all the time and relying on the sugar daddies to clear the debts at the end of every season. Championship season we were predicted to finish 21st out of 24th, but the free signings & loan signings hit, got hot after a rough start, and finished in the Top 6.

Was ready to save scum in the Playoffs. Was up 2-0 over Blackburn after the first match, blew that in 20 minutes. Ended up scoring 3 of the 4 to go up 2 on aggregate again. Blackburn scored soon after to make it 4-3 on the night, 4-5 on aggregate. 5th minute of stoppage time, despite 4 minutes being added on, my keeper made such an error off a free kick that it felt right out of a FIFA save, finishing with him carrying the ball over his own goal line after dropping the ball before that. I was furious. Thankfully, we still won on penalties, and then beat Sunderland in the Playoff Finals.

Finally got money to spend in the transfer window after promotion, but even after spending like £30m, our wage bill was still like £25m and the next cheapest wage bill was £75m. Definitely had multiple matches of getting our butt kicked, but some of the signings did just enough to make sure we finished clear of a true relegation battle, even though we didn't actually guarantee survival until I think 3 matches to go. Finished 13th or 14th on 43 points.

Spent £500k twice on two players halfway through League One, but that was after selling my GK for £350K first. Got to spend £1.5m between two players for the Championship plus free signings, but actually had a net gain because of selling two players for £1m each. Was nice to finally actually make a profit once I got into the Premier League. Even in the Championship I was leaking money despite having such a small wage bill in comparison to everyone else.

Oyston-mode might activate and all those profits will start dissapearing.

• 1 month later...

I did make a new save, I'm managing Spratton Town on a mod that went to I think the 9th tier? It's so easy down there, especially when your contracts are all for zero and you can literally steal other teams players if you need to.

I got promoted runaway champions, second season we went semi-professional so having to offer those contracts which are a lot harder when your wage budget is £900 and players want £150. All of my players are basically out of contract and can be taken whenever someone wants them, but nobody wants two strikers on 20+ goals after about a dozen games in the league apparently.

Having a fun time my new save. Loaded up the major leagues but sticking around Scandinavia for the moment. Started in the Icelandic First Division with Por, won promotion my first season but the second was weird.

Thanks to large promotion wage rises that were included in most of the first team contracts before I arrived, my extra £4k a week budget quickly became just over £1k so I could only bring in a couple of players (my signings were on £2-400 a week, the established players were pushing £1,000 a week! And all of them had no intention or talking about new contracts because their agents knew I would be offering reduced terms). I was expected to fight bravely against the drop and that's what we were doing, coming up to the split we were 2nd last but only a point away from safety but managed to win the Icelandic Cup which meant we were on course to do a Birmingham and get relegated but qualify for Europe!

However a couple of weeks after we won the cup, last season's champions Valur, who had managed to qualify for the Conference League group stage off the back of that, were having a nightmare domestic season and were last in the table and sacked their manager (I played a role in that, thanks to a re-arranged game early in the season we played them twice in the league and beat them at home and a got a draw away which was his last game in charge). I applied for the job since their wage budget was 3 times out and got the job. Too late to do anything more that avoid relegation, I won 6 out the last 7 games to escape (Por went down as expected).

First full season as Valur manager saw us win the league by a point but during the loooong Icelandic off season (seriously, the Premier Division finishes in October and doesn't return until May! There's a league cup in Feb/March which we won, but it doesn't qualify for Europe so it's pretty much just fitness building) I got a interview in Denmark with Viborg who were in pretty the same situation Valur were in, bottom of the table with a couple of games left before the league splits. Took the job and managed to get them to finish top of the relegation group, which got us a European play-off against Brondby for a Europa Conference League spot, which we won (I'm assuming the fact we were in much better form helped us there because they're squad was much better than ours).

In my first full season at Viborg we made the Conference League Quarter Finals, losing to eventual champions Aston Villa (😒), finished 4th in the league but didn't need the European Playoff because we won the Danish Cup which means we get Europa League football this season!

This season we're top of the league after 14 games, looking good for a top 8 finish in the League Phase of the Europa League but expecting Kopenhagen to still take the title as they made the Champions League League Phase last year and have had a £15m+ transfer out of the club in each of the last two seasons so are throwing money around. Fortunately, thanks to Danish clubs having a good couple of seasons in Europe, this year there's an extra Champion's League spot available from the league so finishing 2nd will be fine with me.

• Like 2