NFL 2023

Lineker

Yeah, sounds about right.  Things will have gone very wrong if Trey Lance sees the field in anything but a late season blowout.  Cooper Rush is our backup, Lance isn’t going to take that spot from him this year. 

11 hours ago, Maxx said:

Yeah, sounds about right.  Things will have gone very wrong if Trey Lance sees the field in anything but a late season blowout.  Cooper Rush is our backup, Lance isn’t going to take that spot from him this year. 

Completely forgot you guys still had Rush and thought Lance was the #2

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Maxx said:

I was going to say that after last night I'd rather have Will Grier, but I just checked and Grier is 5 years older than Lance. I thought they'd be closer.

Still not sure that the Cowboys were the right team to take the chance, though. Dak is only 30, you've probably got another 5-7 good years with him and I'm not sure Lance would ever be better than him as it is. Unless Dallas is planning to move on from Dak, or is Lance just a back-up now?

Lance is a backup QB at worst and a lottery ticket at best.  It’s entirely possible he shows improvement and they can get better than a 4th round pick for him from a desperate team down the line.

3 hours ago, Maxx said:

Lance is a backup QB at worst and a lottery ticket at best.  It’s entirely possible he shows improvement and they can get better than a 4th round pick for him from a desperate team down the line.

I think that's pretty optimistic. He has the physical talent to play in the league, but he never got the real-time reps on his way up to be ready for it. I don't know if he's going to be able to get them sitting behind Dak and Cooper Rush.

At this point you're hoping you've got a better ability to develop a QB than a team with Kyle Shanahan at the helm. It's absolutely worth the 4th rd pick but no more. Either he shows enough in practice and next year's preseason where you can trade him for more or he winds up putting all the pieces together and you move on from Dak.

So one of the things in the CBA is that players on the 4th year of their rookie deal can earn pay bumps to their base pay based on snap counts accrued over their first 3 seasons.  Essentially the point is to reward guys who might be outperforming their draft slot and playing a lot more than a guy drafted in their round might have been expected.

The problem of course is that these bonuses are not guaranteed upon being earned.  It simply increases their base pay and, in most cases, these guys on their 4th year can be cut with minimal, if any, cap penalty.  And with rare exception a lot of these players are still lower-end depth chart guys that just got more expensive to be retained.

End result is a bunch of these guys are essentially strongarmed into taking a pay cut and effectively surrendering the bonus they earned, otherwise be victim of cutdown day and get nothing.

Kinda amazing how the NFLPA consistently gets railroaded by loopholes like this in every CBA.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Busch Wyatt said:

Cards release Colt McCoy. Joshua Dobbs or Clayon Tune will be starting QB.

If you’re Kyler Murray you have to wonder if you’ll be on the team in 2024.  Sure looks like they’re tanking for Caleb Williams.

If they end up with the first pick, I don't see any way they don't take Caleb Williams and get out from Murray and his maturity issues. Trading Murray would be a big cap hit but it'd be manageable.

1 hour ago, jrhodes said:

If they end up with the first pick, I don't see any way they don't take Caleb Williams and get out from Murray and his maturity issues. Trading Murray would be a big cap hit but it'd be manageable.

It's always only a cap hit for one season. People mocked the Eagles for dealing away Wentz with his contract and that turned out alright.

• Like 1

I like how when the Colts cut 5th round rookie CB Darius Rush yesterday, seemingly every fanbase screamed for their team to claim him assuming the Colts cut some undeniable gem.

The team that got awarded him?  The Chiefs who had the dead last waiver priority.  AKA 30 other teams watched his tape and said no.  There isn’t even a guarantee the Chiefs liked his tape much but they’ve got a good enough roster to take a dice roll.

I’m shocked that the opinions of almost every NFL scouting and analytics department conflicted with the experts on Twitter.

• Haha 1