2014 NFL Season

Dan

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/09/detroit_lions_calvin_johnson_f_3.html#incart_river

I am disappointed that Calvin seems morr concerned with Petersons career than the childs safety. He also throws out the hideous "nobody can tell me how to discipline my kids". I agree with that within reason, but if you are beating the fucking shit out of your kid, then yes, somebody should tell you how to discipline your kids. He is vehemently against spousal abuse, so there is that.

Also, Bush says his quote was taken out of context and that he would never spank his one year old. Maybe his initial quote was just horribly worded.

You should never put your hands on a woman. Women are defenseless and need to be protected from men. If you want to beat someone, you should beat your children. that is a private matter.

Yeah, I didn't get that either.

These guys should be saying No Comment. What is that old saying about it being better to have people think you're a silent fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt? Something like that. Calvin should heed that advice, he's a guy that has typically looked like a class act, but giving the vibe that he's cool with AP's corporal punishment does not make him look good.

To me, it honestly seems like a cultural thing. I would bet that more young black males in the United States were giving "whoopings" growing up and it is hard to break a cycle of abuse

Also, the Dwyer incident evidentially happened in July and combined the best of Ray Rice & Adrian Peterson

Release from Phoenix PD lists 2 victims - a 27-yo female and an 18-mo old child. One of the counts is aggravated assault involving a minor.

Yeah, I didn't get that either.

These guys should be saying No Comment. What is that old saying about it being better to have people think you're a silent fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt? Something like that. Calvin should heed that advice, he's a guy that has typically looked like a class act, but giving the vibe that he's cool with AP's corporal punishment does not make him look good.

I said it earlier, you'd be surprised how many people agree with that attitude. It's very common in working class communities. It's just part of the lifestyle a ton of people grow up around, they turn out alright so they think it must work. A friend of mine from high school's mom was adamant on his Facebook comments that she saw nothing wrong in what Peterson did. Some kids just need to be taught more of a lesson than others is the basic mentality. Hell, in a given week at work I'll usually see at least one mom smack her kid in the head in public. It's very normal for a lot of people.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've seen a lot of that on facebook also. A lot of the "I got ass whoopins as a kid, kids need discipline, sometimes they need an ass whoopin". What they fail to realize is that there is a difference between a quick swat on the ass and leaving marks on a four year old (and stuffing leaves in his mouth..).

give him credit, unlike the Ravens, the Vikings. And the nfl themselves, at least the dude was consistent.

I think the weirdest response to Peterson's arrest is the number of people who say things like this: "My parents used to beat the shit out of me, and I turned out okay!" Yeah, you know what? You're looking at a kid with huge fucking scars on his legs and letting the person who did that off the hook, maybe you didn't fucking turn out so okay, did you?

I grew up in the midst of the whooping culture. My dad used to discipline me with a belt. And I don't know if it's related or not, but I do have a short temper when it comes to my kids. It's a constant struggle between raising my kids the way I want to and raising my kids the same way I was raised. My dad wasn't (and still isn't) a bad person, but he shouldn't have disciplined us in that way, and I'd rather make the conscious intellectual choice not to do something like that than say that I should do the things my parents did.

I don't think Adrian Peterson is a bad person because he uses that type of discipline or that he gets his jollies off of it or whatever, I just think he went too far and was raised in a culture where that's accepted. There's a Community episode with Troy's grandmother where the whole "getting a switch" thing is used as comedy and the grandma character was used a stereotypical black, southern grandmother. Nobody should beat anybody to the point where he's getting scars like that but how Peterson is being demonized is just completely ridiculous and I think part of an effort that you see in society today where everybody has flaunt how outraged they are by somebody else's actions. I think it's very rare where you see people that enjoy harming children

Guys like Ray Rice, Jonathan Dwyer, Aaron Hernandez; those are the bad guys.

I don't think Adrian Peterson is a bad person because he uses that type of discipline or that he gets his jollies off of it or whatever, I just think he went too far and was raised in a culture where that's accepted. There's a Community episode with Troy's grandmother where the whole "getting a switch" thing is used as comedy and the grandma character was used a stereotypical black, southern grandmother. Nobody should beat anybody to the point where he's getting scars like that but how Peterson is being demonized is just completely ridiculous and I think part of an effort that you see in society today where everybody has flaunt how outraged they are by somebody else's actions. I think it's very rare where you see people that enjoy harming children

Guys like Ray Rice, Jonathan Dwyer, Aaron Hernandez; those are the bad guys.

You could switch around Peterson with "Vick" and children with "dogs" and you have a defense for what happened there too.

Part of maturing and growing up is being able to see what was wrong in your upbringing and changing it for the better, to make life better for your children.

I was raised in an incredibly racist household/family/town, but I had enough sense to see through the lack in logic and pettiness of it.

I also had switches used on me as a child, and instead of saying, "Oh, well I was raised and punished that way!" I say, "That fucking hurt, and I really can't see anything that I could have done to have warranted being beaten with a fucking stick".

You can make arguments until the cows come home, but he went over the line. And if you beat a child that badly once, it's likely to happen again. And next time it could be fatal.

• Like 1

Fuck Charles Barkley, Megatron, and every other idiot trying to defend what Peterson did.

I believe parents have the right to spank or whip their kid. But no to the point that it leaves bloody marks or scars. That's not punishment, its abuse.

(I do not believe that teachers should have the right to spank or paddle kids, though.)

*edit* My problem with Peterson isn't just that he went too far, since he's even admitted himself that he did. My problem is that it appears this wasn't an isolated incident.

I also believe that once a player is convicted of a crime, even if they're not locked up and are appealing, they should be benched until everything is resolved one way or another. Greg Hardy shouldn't have been allowed to play at all.

Edited by GhostMachine

I'm gonna say fuck Adrian Peterson because there's a difference between physical discipline and losing your shit on a child. This wasn't AP teaching his children to behave. This was AP getting furiously angry and taking it out on his children. I hope he gets an example made of him by the justice system.

• Like 3