NBA 2014/15 Season Thread

Plubby

Any Dallas fans around here?

BREAKING: Celtics agree in principle to deal sending Rajon Rondo to Dallas for Wright, Nelson, Crowder & 2 picks. (via @ESPNSteinLine)

Rondo, Ellis, Parsons, Dirk, Chandler DAMN.

Dallas fan here, just woke up after being passed out.

Jesus this is a fucking sexy trade, and it finally gives us not just a great, but a star pass-first Point Guard in Rajon Rondo who can get triple-doubles.

The only two things I'm really concerned with are his expiring contract, and I hope he resigns with the Mavericks through bird-rights, and if Cuban manages to get him for long term the franchise should be very very good going into the future.

And of course, the front-court has become thin with Wright leaving for Boston. And I don't see Charlie V, Powell, Smith bringing the same hyper-efficient scoring and rebounding game from the bench...

But man, I'm freaking hype regardless. This move has turned Dallas from a low seed into a mid-high seed instantly.

Rondo apparently had veto power and would only be traded to a team that he'd sign an extension with. That's the rumblings around Twitter, though.

God I hope so, a motivated Rondo is unstoppable. And Dallas is going straight for a title challenge, no doubt making Rondo extremely motivated.

We've traded Brewer and Turiaf to Houston for Troy Daniels and second round picks. A bit of a shit trade for us. But in reality we are heading to the draft and Brewer's habit of gambling on defence wasn't fair on our kids since it added so much pressure on the defence (especially since we have no rim protection). I would have much preferred to have eaten Turiaf's contract and tried to force them to take Budinger. Bud has never recovered from his broken knees and watching him play makes me sad. At least we have a three point threat now I guess.

I really don't think he should count. He's 23 and has been playing top tier basketball in Europe forever. Rubio made some sense because he came out at 21 so was still close in age to proper rookies and Blake Griffin who was the expected ROY was a year older.

I really don't think he should count. He's 23 and has been playing top tier basketball in Europe forever. Rubio made some sense because he came out at 21 so was still close in age to proper rookies and Blake Griffin who was the expected ROY was a year older.

He's still a rookie to the league, though. I understand where you're coming from, but regardless of previous experience in college or overseas, the NBA is a whole new level of tough. I don't think age really comes into that.

23 is about the age of a fifth year senior coming out of college. Rare that a player would stay that long, but I don't think it should preclude him.

Your other point holds more water, but I'm not sure how good Euro ball is compared to top level college ball.

23 is about the age of a fifth year senior coming out of college. Rare that a player would stay that long, but I don't think it should preclude him.

Your other point holds more water, but I'm not sure how good Euro ball is compared to top level college ball.

It's considered mostly equal, but I don't think that's true anymore. Even in the 80's and 90's though you had guys like Sabonis dominating in Europe.

A great basketball what if is about Sabonis playing for the Blazers in the late 80's and early 90's. Alongside Drexler, Porter, and Robinson it's hard to not see that team winning some titles. Instead we got old, broken down Sabonis who might have actually been a statue when he finally came stateside.

The Pistons have waived Josh Smith.

Surprising because of his contract (26 mil still owed to him after this season) and the fact they could've traded him this summer to the Kings but rebuffed their offers. He was always a terrible fit on that team with Drummond and Monroe at the big man spots (in no way is he a SF). It seems very likely he ends up with the Kings now, with the Mavs as a possibility as well.