Premier League 2016/17

Lineker

All live experiments involve a video assistant referee having access to replays during the match and either reviewing an incident on request by the referee or communicating with the referee proactively about an incident that may have been missed.

To what end? 'Evening it up'? This needs some very serious thought for me, it can't possibly work for missed incidents, it could only be used for overturning decisions that have been made. Even that's a minefield though, then does a ref give a penalty for a decent tackle because the video will overrule it if he's wrong, denying the wronged side a potential counter attack? Never mind how many "yeah there's contact but not a pen for me" decisions there are every weekend, with longer scrutiny I think we'd see a lot of softer penalties given.

Ugh.

6 hours ago, MDK said:

Bleh, I don't like this. Video tech takes the drama out of the game.

Whilst I don't agree with this opinion at all - the drama of football is not at all tied to incorrect decisions being made - I do agree with @Colly that this needs serious thought and can't just be used for loads of things. In my opinion, it should only apply to missed incidents if a serious red card offence has been committed and gone undetected by the officials on the pitch, and even then it's difficult to see how it could be implemented. Any video technology should be at the discretion of the referee in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Whilst I don't agree with this opinion at all - the drama of football is not at all tied to incorrect decisions being made - I do agree with @Colly that this needs serious thought and can't just be used for loads of things. In my opinion, it should only apply to missed incidents if a serious red card offence has been committed and gone undetected by the officials on the pitch, and even then it's difficult to see how it could be implemented. Any video technology should be at the discretion of the referee in my opinion.

Ugh. They're bad enough at arrogantly  ignoring their linesmen, never mind handing over to tv. Right, now I'm even more against it.

• Like 2

I can't wait to see Mike Dean doing the 'TV square' hand signal and his look of absolute smugness as he knows every camera in the ground is on him, the true superstar of the Premier League.

• Like 4

Rugby League down here has had video refs for a while and it essentially makes refs too scared to make a decision by themselves because they might get it wrong and get shouted at for not using the technology. So they do the only sensible thing and overuse it instead. <_<

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Ugh. They're bad enough at arrogantly  ignoring their linesmen, never mind handing over to tv. Right, now I'm even more against it.

I mean, I personally am fine with football as it is and with the technology only being used for goal-line decisions, but if you brought it in and had a video ref able to over rule the on-pitch referee at will it would seriously undermine said referee's position and could affect his officiating of the game.

The only way video refereeing will work is an appeal system like tennis and cricket. Managers get 1 appeal per half, if you're right you keep it, if you're wrong you don't. If it's 50/50 then it goes with the referees original decision.

• Like 1

I hate the idea of video technology for several reasons but the main one is I love the controversy you get with football. 

Perfectly fine with goal line technology but as Adam points out the FA already will genuinely back the ref so they don't undermine them whereas using video technology will just highlight mistakes being made and people will question the ref for the rest of the game going forward.  

• Like 1

I think technology would be a good thing, though it would have to be carefully regulated in its use so to not have a too detrimental effect on play.

I'd guess that the following would be fine:

• Alerting the officiating crew to off-the-ball / missed incidents.
  • Reviewing of red-card offences
  • Reviewing of penalties.

I'm not sure how much I'd want a manager / coach to be in charge of reviews - maybe a challenge system as previously mentioned. I think I'd prefer a 5th official to just straight up tell the referee if, for example, the penalty he gave was actually a dive etc.