2016 NFL Season

Schlitzbrille

Over at another board where we do weekly picks for fun, I had the Colts picked to beat the Steelers. But after Luck was put on concussion protocol I changed my pick, and added "No Luck = no luck for the Colts."

I expected the Cowboys-Redskins game to be close, but the officials let Washington get away with pass interference a few times.  And I'm still not convinced that the incomplete pass call wasn't really a fumble recovery by Dallas. 

So, I'm slightly hanging after our Thanksgiving/NFL party. 

Go Lions! :D

• Like 2

John Madden talks Thanksgiving, his health, Raiders rise, 49ers fall, NFL TV ratings

Best part

On if he ever thought he’d be on a podcast:

“I never would have thought, and I’m still not sure what a podcast is. Anyone who listens to this and says: ‘That guy sounds like he doesn’t know what the heck he’s doing.’ You’re right.”

I could never root for tanking, even if it makes theoretical sense.  The NFL season is relatively short and the offseason just takes an eternity to sit through.  It wouldn't ruin my day if my team lost in that situation, but I'd still be hoping to see them play well and win.

Draft picks are such a crap shoot nowadays anyway, I think getting a higher draft pick is overrated.

I laugh because my Pats fan friends always freak out whenever the Pats don't play a particularly good game - but it seems like they forget that when they're down a touchdown late and are giving Tom Brady 4 downs to play with there is a very high probability that he's going to do what he needs to to get the game tied or won.  And when he doesn't, he's still going to come really close.

In some horrible alternate universe, Randy Moss and Rob Gronkowski haul in those last second Hail Marys that barely missed in SBs 42 and 46 to give the Pats 6 rings and a perfect season.

• Like 1

So, I'm going to preface this by saying that I know there's a long way to go, and Oakland could easily collapse and somehow miss the playoffs, but...

I've been around here long enough that some of you guys know that my father is in really ill health. I don't talk about it a lot because it's basically been a fact of life for me since high school...

Anyway, my father (and my grandfather on my mother's side, who got my dad into football), are the people who made me into a Raider fan. I've taken it much farther, but they started it. Well, my father has been getting much worse lately, and, fuck it, it's just nice for Oakland to be respectable again. It's nice to be able to be happy when talking about them with him, and it's nice to be positive about it.

I'm not sure they'll make the playoffs, and I'm not sure he'll make it to see it, so, in some small way, tonight just means so, so much to me...

Sorry for rambling, I just had to talk about it. I never thought a regular season win over a 4-7 team would bring me to tears, but here we are. I'm not even sure a Super Bowl Championship would mean as much as this does right now.

• Like 5

I like seeing the Raiders doing well! It changes up the status quo of things in the past decade and they are the team I will be rooting for in the AFC. Sorry about your dad, I hope he gets to see them go into the playoffs. That would be great to see.

• Like 1

I don't see the Raiders missing the playoffs. I'm wary of their defense in a playoff game, but it's such a crapshoot in January. I'm real glad the Raiders are doing well, a great fanbase that's been treated like absolute shit from all angles for the past decade. Everything's coming together nicely for them now, and it's very deserved.

• Like 1