NBA 2016-2017 Season

Tyrone

I'm happy for you. Somebody should be excited about their pick.

Though to be absolutely fair, the last time I totally hated a Knicks pick, he turned out to be our newest star player, so what do I know?

The NBA Draft always makes me want to run an NBA2k EWB franchise. 

I don't hate our pick because I don't know anything about college basketball. I know that the Pistons SGs are terrible and our shooting as a team is god awful, and Kennard can shoot. That seems logical. He can't play defense apparently...but whatever...not like the Pistons have all of these dynamic defensive playmakers anyway. 

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

And god damn @Maxx and the Mavs got the guy I wanted. :(

And the Knicks took the guy I didn't want the Mavs to take :D

So what can you guys tell me about Derrick White? I didn't know we needed another guard, TBH, but we are probably moving Danny this season and if we still get CP3 like I hope then White is big enough to compensate for the size. Other than him being a pretty big guard, I don't know anything else about him.

19 minutes ago, Maxx said:

And the Knicks took the guy I didn't want the Mavs to take :D

But you love the French. :(

9 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

So what can you guys tell me about Derrick White? I didn't know we needed another guard, TBH, but we are probably moving Danny this season and if we still get CP3 like I hope then White is big enough to compensate for the size. Other than him being a pretty big guard, I don't know anything else about him.

Smart and mature. The type of player that thrives under Pop. He'll likely develop very nicely there. Perfect landing spot for him, I think. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

I like that John Collins pick for Atlanta. He may be my choice of looking back in five years and all of us saying "How in the world did that guy fall all the way to #19?!"

It all but means Millsap's gone either in FA or a sign-and-trade, but Collins may be a sneaky good, we-have-Al-Horford-2.0 pick.

Cripes, I at least hope so.

I had Malik Monk as a top-5 prospect, perhaps in the conversation to be a top-3 prospect. I'm SUPER EXCITED about him and I have been loving the Hornets' offseason. They did a lot for a team that seemed tapped out.

And while all the draft and free agency craziness is going on, is anyone going to watch Ice Cube's BIG3? I'm kinda' excited for it, if only because of being able to see Iverson play again. Really got some high hopes for it.

• Like 1

I have the same feeling with Zach Collins. He is so effective on both ends, and most of his cons you can attribute to age. He's gonna be good.

EDIT: Also, how the hell did Ike Anigbogu went that low? He already plays like a role player should in this league.

Edited by Rafael

18 hours ago, En Dub said:

Apparently to send Porzingas to Boston, the Knicks wanted the number 3 pick, Brooklyn's pick in next year's draft, Jaylen Brown AND Jae Crowder. So I find that Phoenix rumor suspiciously light. 

Do the Knicks have the slightest idea what the fuck they're doing? @MeaconI'm sorry you have to deal with their stupidity as a fan. Fuck, dealing KP is stupid in the first place but did they ever think there was ANY chance at all to get the #3 pick, next year's possible #1 pick, last year's #3 pick, and a very solid 3-and-D wing for KP?... Phil, resign. Please. I don't even like the Knicks but Dolan and Phil are making them look pathetic.

16 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

So if we were to trade Jimmy do we get a high pick? What do you think?

It feels like Chicago may have been robbed in that trade. LaVine is coming off a torn ACL, Dunn looked like a possible bust last year (and it's even worse that he looked like a bust in Thibs' system because it's a perfect fit), and the pick turned into Lauri Markannen who I doubt will be even better than Nikola Mirotic. I really think they should've gone with Ntilikina or Dennis Smith and commit to a rebuild with a guard (both have a lot of potential, and if Dunn really is a bust then Ntilikina or Smith would be perfect to pair with Lavine) who could become a star rather than with Markannen. Who knows, Markannen is a good stretch four and I saw a lot of him considering I live in Oregon and watch a lot of PAC 12 sports, and he was good at Arizona but I think there was better available for Chicago. Gotta think that Boston could've offered a better package than this. 

15 hours ago, Pooker said:

When Hayward stays with the Jazz, the division battle between us and the Wolves are gonna be fun to watch.

Hey, I'd throw my Blazers in there too if they didn't owe a shit ton of money to guys that should be working for McDonald's, and if they could play any defense at all, and if they could stop being so damn soft... A lot of if's there... :( 

15 hours ago, En Dub said:

I hope everyone is right and we're dealing Taytum. He's good but we really need some star power soon. Maybe we trade for George like people are speculating and that helps sign Hayward (sorry @Pooker). That puts Cleveland and Golden State on notice. 

If the Celtics got both Paul George and Gordon Hayward to go with the team they have right now, I think I'd like them over Cleveland in the east. Huge if, though. 

15 hours ago, Meacon said:

Well if I'm the Suns, I'm tickled getting Jackson at #4, considering he's probably the best defender, and may end up being the best player in the draft. 

I think he will be the best player in the draft. His defense is freaking incredible and after watching a few pieces on his work ethic and dedication, I think he'll develop into something truly special. Ulis, Booker, Jackson, Chriss, Bender, TJ Warren... That's a fun young core. If they could turn Eric Bledsoe into either a younger player or a good pick to add another piece to that young group, they'd be super fun and dangerous to watch in 3-5 years.

15 hours ago, Meacon said:

...we drafted the Frenchman...

The Knicks might have just made the only smart move they've made in a while by drafting him, especially if they're gonna lose KP... Or even if they keep him. Ntilikina has a ton of potential, he could have a Giannis-type rise. Athletic as all hell, if he could learn to shoot he will be insane. Over a 7'0 wingspan at the PG position, speed like no other. He's really raw but lord, there's no reason that in 2-3 years he isn't a star.

14 hours ago, Meacon said:

I like that John Collins pick for Atlanta. He may be my choice of looking back in five years and all of us saying "How in the world did that guy fall all the way to #19?!"

He fits perfectly, could be the next Horford or Millsap... Hell, maybe even better. Really like that pick.

11 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Stud. Saw a lot of him at Colorado and the kid just seems like a Spurs player. He's smart beyond his years, makes good decisions, and is really gonna fit in well (doesn't everybody in San Antonio?). Between him and Dejounte (Spell Check) Murray you guys got two PAC 12 guards that I thought will both be long-time NBA level players.

10 hours ago, Rafael said:

I had Malik Monk as a top-5 prospect, perhaps in the conversation to be a top-3 prospect. I'm SUPER EXCITED about him and I have been loving the Hornets' offseason. They did a lot for a team that seemed tapped out.

Charlotte's looking like my League Pass team next year. Them, Philly, Milwaukee... Shit, there's a lot. But I love that lineup. Kemba, Monk, Batum and even Dwight will be super fun to see if they can mesh well. I never liked Batum too much when he was here in Portland but I enjoy watching him in Charlotte. 

55 minutes ago, Rafael said:

I have the same feeling with Zach Collins. He is so effective on both ends, and most of his cons you can attribute to age. He's gonna be good.

EDIT: Also, how the hell did Ike Anigbogu went that low? He already plays like a role player should in this league.

I'm glad my Blazers picked up Zach Collins. Speaking of which, here's my input for my team:

I'm extremely happy with the Blazers draft. Collins has a ton of potential, can shoot, he's long, can protect the rim... I think he'd fit well playing the 4 next to Nurkic and with them two, we might actually have some defense in the paint. Dame and CJ can handle the ball and do the bulk of the scoring (Crabbe can come off the bench and score too), Mo Harkless or Aminu can start at the 3 and give us some needed perimeter defense. Obviously I'm hoping for them to dump the salaries of Turner and Leonard (hell, maybe even Crabbe considering he's making $17 million a year) and start focusing on signing defensive minded players and maybe a guy or two for the bench that can score. Also love the pick of Swanigan. I thought he should've gone higher, and I think he can really be a bruiser in the post, I see a lot of Zach Randolph in him. Although I preferred Jordan Bell, I'm pretty sure I only did so because he was a Duck, and I'm a homer. But Swanigan can do it all, man. He can shoot, he can defend in the post, he has a low post offensive game, he can board... With Collins and Swanigan coming in, I'm really excited for our young frontcourt. Nurkic, Collins and Swanigan looks like we might have some solid big men. Excited to see what everyone can do for the Blazers. 

Truthfully, I don't think Ainge sees a ton of value in Butler for some reason. The constant talks between Boston/Chicago have always hit some snag, whether it was Crowder at the trade deadline this season or the rumored refusal to deal the number 3 pick on draft night. I know for a fact we could've made a better offer than Minnesota did. That being said, I feel like certain trades are dying (looking at you, Phil) because people know how heavy the C's are on assets and aren't looking for fair deals. 

1 hour ago, En Dub said:

Truthfully, I don't think Ainge sees a ton of value in Butler for some reason. The constant talks between Boston/Chicago have always hit some snag, whether it was Crowder at the trade deadline this season or the rumored refusal to deal the number 3 pick on draft night. I know for a fact we could've made a better offer than Minnesota did. That being said, I feel like certain trades are dying (looking at you, Phil) because people know how heavy the C's are on assets and aren't looking for fair deals. 

Butler is kind of a douche, I remember people saying something about how Ainge didn't like that about him.

@The Big Bratwurst I think the Blazers need to give up on Lillard like the Bulls gave up on Butler. He's already said he wants to play for the Jazz or Lakers if Portland doesn't want him anymore. So why not make a trade to the Jazz happen now? We would gladly take one of those other big contracts off your hands.

Loved listening to Donovon Mitchell interview after the draft. Always nice to hear a player say he wants to play in Utah.

Just now, Pooker said:

@The Big Bratwurst I think the Blazers need to give up on Lillard like the Bulls gave up on Butler. He's already said he wants to play for the Jazz or Lakers if Portland doesn't want him anymore. So why not make a trade to the Jazz happen now? We would gladly take one of those other big contracts off your hands.

Loved listening to Donovon Mitchell interview after the draft. Always nice to hear a player say he wants to play in Utah.

He said if the Blazers don't want him, so I don't think that matters much considering he went to school in Utah and is from California. I would be open to trading either him or CJ, though, but I'd want a guy who can play one of the guard positions and can play D, cause both Dame and CJ are not good defenders. I don't see a trade we could make happen with Utah that would move the needle for the Blazers. Plus, Lillard and Turner in that trade would be $40 million that would have to work out in the trade. Using the trade machine, the only way to dump both Lillard and Turner to Utah we'd have to take back Favors, Burks and Joe Johnson plus someone like Rodney Hood.