2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

I kinda get wanted to see what you have with Webb but Geno Smith? Watching him play for the Jets wasn't bad enough? Joke of a move by the Giants but nothing but class from Eli.

Eli to the Broncos next year to follow his brother?

Actually, I see zero value in seeing what they have in Smith and Webb at this point. Not only is the team devoid of weapons at the moment, but the final five games for the Giants are completely meaningless.  What can the team actually learn?

They're going to have a top five pick in a draft class that figures to have multiple guys with franchise QB potential.

If they allow QB performance in five meaningless games to dictate their draft plans, they may as well be the New York Browns.

The thing with Smith and Webb is there is nobody around them to actually help the team "see what they have". Giants went from a possible playoff team to a dumpster fire for a lot of reasons, but injuries to their WRs is probably reason number 1. Smith and Webb are both gonna also look awful, and then the team will (rightfully) decide it has no choice but to draft a QB. This was always gonna be how it happened. In fact I think drafting a QB and having he and Webb compete for the starting job is a great choice. There is zero sense in trying to figure out if Geno Smith is good enough, he's not.

But the thing that bothers me the most is that this is just extremely disrespectful to a guy who brought you 2 rings. It's not like a situation where a 1st round pick was waiting in the wings like Kurt Warner back when Eli became starter. It's just Geno Smith and Davis Webb, two guys who probably aren't gonna set the world on fire. So in the end this just looks like McAdoo being a jerk.

I'm seriously sick to my stomach over this.  The guy is, at worst, a borderline HOFer with 2 rings who has never said a bad thing about any of his coaches or players.  Now McAdoo is saying publicly Geno Smith sans receivers, a run game, or offensive line gives them a better chance to win than Eli.  And he did so knowing full well Eli is too classy to ever say anything.

Not all that long ago I felt sympathy for McAdoo for being thrust into a role for which he was ill-prepared.  But after this stunt?  Fuck him.  I hope this clown never gets a job in football again.

• Like 2

This is a desperation move on McAdoo's part to try and salvage a season that's been long gone. He's thinking he can put something together on tape with Geno that it would save his ass but that's the furthest thing from what is coming from all of this. Eli gives this team the best chance on winning period. If you're trying to sell development then you go with Davis Webb, but even that is a stretch. You don't bench a QB the caliber of Eli, albeit a lesser version of himself, for a hunch of a QB like Davis Webb - and certainly not for an already failed QB in Geno Smith. The only way this scenario would be acceptable is if you had a for sure QB waiting in the wings like one of the prospects coming out this year, or back when Eli first came around and went in for Warner. I am counting the days until McAdoo/Reese are gone.

Yeah I think it's safe to say a ton of this comes down to McAdoo trying to shift the blame away from himself. "Hey look with this other guy under center we started winning." But no matter what it all comes back to him. He was woefully unprepared to be a head coach in the NFL and he won't be much longer.

3 hours ago, Busch E said:
Today is the lowest point in my 20+ years of being a Giants fan.

This season was not Eli Manning's fault. I'm not saying he played well - virtually nobody on the team has. It was clearly time to draft his successor next year and plan 2018 around moving on to the next chapter of Giants history.

But to take a 2-time Super Bowl MVP who has set every passing record for the teamand has a crazy long Iron Man streak, and bench him in favor of GENO SMITH is just a disgrace. What is the team expecting to learn from watching Smith throw to receivers who would struggle to make most NFL rosters? I'd be saying the same thing if they had decided to start Davis Webb.

Eli, to his credit, was offered the chance to start and then get benched in the second half and he declined because he didn't want to cheapen the streak. He did the classy thing as he always does. It's just a shame the organization decided to show anything but class to Eli in this dumpster fire of a season. He deserved to finish this season on his own terms.

Eli being benched *might* be a good idea, if they didn't have a joke of a QB who proved he's an immature bastard with the way he handled the draft then got beaten up by his own team mate and an unproven rookie as replacements.

Eli is nothing but class, with the way he's handled the situation. Hope he goes somewhere else and proves this year was a fluke.

8 hours ago, Your Cloud And Mine said:

D-Mac had a pretty decent pro career, but I'll never forget him as part of Houston Nutt's Razorbacks team. I think he could have done a lot more had he not been a Raider, but still, all things considered? Dude was a solid, solid player.

I actually don't think it would have mattered, injuries were always the problem and he usually looked fine on the field for Oakland.

3 hours ago, Busch E said:

Breaking News:  Yankees to bench Derek Jeter for the final month of the 2014 season.  With the season a lost cause, the team feels that it would be best to use its remaining games to evaluate potential replacements.

I mean that actually is kinda what September callups are...

I don't really understand the outrage about benching Eli. It's not his fault the team stinks but he is getting the brunt of it because of a severely inept offensive line and no weapons to throw to. What happens if Eli gets hurt on a shitty team playing for nothing? Isn't that worse than just moving on and seeing what else is on the roster?It sucks for Eli to lose his streak that way but thems the breaks.

McAdoo and Reese do suck but I don't really see the problem with this move.

The idea that the Giants will be able to "see what else they have" at this point in the season is a fallacy.  The team is 2-9, has lost virtually the entire roster to injury, and tons of players appear to have checked out.  You can't evaluate a quarterback in these conditions.  Even if one of the replacements somehow played well, these are five completely meaningless games and it'd be ridiculous to decide to pass on the QBs in April because of them.

The Giants' season has been over for a long time.  There's a good argument they were done at 0-3, a better argument they were done at 0-4, and they clearly went well behind the point of no return starting 0-5 with Beckham and Marshall already done for the year by then.  That was the time to make a change.  The trade deadline wasn't until Halloween, they could've found a suitor for Eli so he could play for a team that wanted him.  I'm certain the Jags would've brought him in in a heartbeat and I'm sure there are more.  When they kept Eli past the deadline, they owed it to him to let him go down with the ship.  Not bench him for a retread like Geno Smith.

McAdoo got his offensive coordinator gig after the Giants fired Kevin Gilbride and attempted to pass it as a retirement.  Eli produced two of the best statistical seasons of his career and then vouched for McAdoo to get the head coaching job after the Giants fired Tom Coughlin and attempted to pass it off as a retirement.  And now this is how McAdoo repays Eli, a guy who has showed up for work every day for 14 years and who has accomplished far, far more in football than McAdoo ever will.

This situation is genuinely sickening to me.  This week I might willingly skip a Giants game for the first time in over 20 years.  I feel completely detached as a fan now and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to view the team the same way again.

• Like 3