Football Manager 2018

Lineker

FM2008 because I'm ten years late. 

2010 World Cup. 2-0 up against Cameroon in the group stages, Rooney gets himself sent off because he's Wayne Rooney and why wouldn't he? Thinking to myself, I'll take Huddlestone out of DM and replace him with a striker... where's Michael Owen, he's not on the bench? It's at this point (the 45th minute) that I notice that I've been playing with a centreback pairing of John Terry and Michael fucking Owen. For 45 minutes. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

How did you manage that?

Absent mindedness when making changes between matches clearly. I did intend to put Wes Brown alongside Terry but must have picked the wrong sub. :P 

11 minutes ago, Troy said:

FM2008 because I'm ten years late. 

2010 World Cup. 2-0 up against Cameroon in the group stages, Rooney gets himself sent off because he's Wayne Rooney and why wouldn't he? Thinking to myself, I'll take Huddlestone out of DM and replace him with a striker... where's Michael Owen, he's not on the bench? It's at this point (the 45th minute) that I notice that I've been playing with a centreback pairing of John Terry and Michael fucking Owen. For 45 minutes. 

Reminds me of the time my brother accidentally brought on Raimond Van Gouw as a striker.

He scored a brace.

• Like 1

Is anyone else super cheap when it comes to managing finances? Granted, I'm usually in the lower leagues but I very, very rarely pay transfer fees. I'd much rather go into a season shorthanded than give out transfer fees. Free transfers, loans, or bust for this guy. 

I finished 4th in L1 with Oxford and won the playoff for the third promotion spot into the Championship. So I quit. I think I've taken them as far as I can and I'm ready to move to another country.

Speaking of which, I took the Mali job right before the African Nations Cup and led them to victory! We beat Egypt in the semi-finals and Ghana (who were in our group) in a thrilling 4-3 final, where we scored in the 93rd minute to take home the Cup. We've got one match left in World Cup qualifying and it's not looking good. We're in a group with Egypt, who has 11 points from 5 matches, we have 10 points from 5 matches, and Benin and Madagascar are both terrible. We just played Egypt for the second time and despite having the lead three times, ended up giving up a goal late for them to draw us. If we had managed to hold on, we'd have 12 points to their 10, but we choked. Both Egypt and us will likely beat up on Benin and Madagascar, and unless I'm missing something, only the top team in the group advances to the next stage. We do have the lead in goal differential so maybe Madagascar surprises me and finally earn a point with a draw against Egypt, but I doubt it. If we don't qualify, I'll likely just resign and wait for another club job that I really want. I'm holding out hope that we get through, despite likely finishing 2nd in the group but I can't find anything that clarifies if that is a possibility. Oh well. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Malenko said:

I sign players w/ less than 6 months left on their contracts all the time. The only players I actually don't mind spending a lot on are those who are really too good for my team and I can't believe they're actually willing to play for us. 

When I was managing Braintree, I would just walk into the local shops and ask the employees if they wanted to play for a smidge less than what they were making as a cashier.