Football Manager 2018

Lineker

Thanks guys.  I'll definitely check out that guide.  I'm in tge same boat as Baddar. The transfers and contract rules are what get me confused most. 

My Forest game stagnated a bit. Lost promotion final two years straight. I'll use that game as a break when MLS gets too overwhelming. 

Transfers are basic enough. Can trade combination of picks, players and allocation budge. You can increase your budget by selling players but you don't get all of, some goes back into the league to be dispersed. 

Draft picks aren't that valuable but I got a few gems that way. Designated Players are important, they don't count against the cap and your board will decide how much you can spend on them. I got Conor Wickham for Toronto and he tore the league apart. You'll always be forced to sell your top players so it's constant scouting and management on that end. 

Cheap young DPs is the trick. Canadian teams have the bonus of both US and Canada players counting as home grown too.

It's amazing and a much different challenge!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Im on my phone so I won’t go into too much detail, but Designated Players and the superdraft is how I’m building my team. I took over Real Salt Lake and they had three DPs that were pathetic so I traded one for an international slot (good for three years!), sold one to a club in Portugal (I think?) and outright released one. I traded a few overpaid guys that don’t fit my system and ended up with the 10th, 11th, and 12th picks in the draft. Got three really good 22 year olds that’ll help right away. Our “draft grade” was an A+ while the next best team only got a B so woohoo? It really is a completely different beast than over in England. @Hobo had a really fun Vancouver game a few years back that I enjoyed following. He’s a good one to direct MLS questions to.

I’ll go into a bit more detail tonight when I’m on the computer with the game in front of me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TCO said:

Transfers are basic enough. Can trade combination of picks, players and allocation budge. You can increase your budget by selling players but you don't get all of, some goes back into the league to be dispersed. 

Draft picks aren't that valuable but I got a few gems that way. Designated Players are important, they don't count against the cap and your board will decide how much you can spend on them. I got Conor Wickham for Toronto and he tore the league apart. You'll always be forced to sell your top players so it's constant scouting and management on that end. 

Cheap young DPs is the trick. Canadian teams have the bonus of both US and Canada players counting as home grown too.

It's amazing and a much different challenge!

You lost me at trading a combination of picks. :lol:

Stupid Merica making all the sports so complicated.

Conor Wickham....Connor Wickham. 

• Haha 1

MLS has a draft (known as the super draft) which is just like the drafts for all other American sports. You get draft picks where you select a player from the pool and sign them to relatively cheap contracts. And just like in other American sports, you can accumulate and trade away picks. So you can go into the draft with no picks, or three in the Top-12 like I did last night.

I kinda ignore the draft system for the most part. Aggressively perused trades and looked to get cheap South American players and the occasional experienced international from abroad. 

That vancouver game @Meacxico mentioned was the first game I really stuck to buying players with certain physical and mental attributes. 

I was thinking along the lines of something similar for a potential Toronto save. 

The idea came about after reading a blog about 'Fibra', on this site. In a nutshell, you calculate whether players are suitable for your team by combining some core mental attributes, being aggression, determination, teamwork and workrate. All this leads to a style of football adopted by the likes of Diego Simeone et al. 

Toronto wouldn't be the best choice though, their team is stacked and their the reigning MLS Cup and Supporters Shield Champions. Probably won't do better than Giovinco, Bradley and Altidore as DPs too.

If you want to go down the Canada route I'd go with Montreal or Vancouver. You'd get Alphonso Davies with Vancouver too!

I had some success in the Draft. I'll see if I can dig up any old screenshots from that game. It was so much fun. Last FM I have is FM17, might bust that out for a new MLS game!

• Like 1

On 04/08/2018 at 00:03, Liam Mk2 said:

This is definitely the best regen I have ever had come through on any FM:

MattPopr.PNG

Practically ready for first-team football at 15 years-old. Will get Tobes tutoring him to fix that determination pronto. 

*runs away in terror from a centre back with 10 concentration*

So we've lost 1 game in our first 11 matches, and I'm more frustrated than I think I'd be if we had lost all 11. 

We've won 4, lost 1, and drawn 6. Of those 6 draws, we had the lead late in 5 of them. For whatever reason we give up at least one goal in the 88th minute to extra time period. In the case against DC United, the best fucking team in the league, we gave up a 3-0 lead, starting with United's first goal around the 75 minute mark. I have no idea what the fuck to do to prevent this as I'm already playing a very conservative defensive style.

And my God, I think I've signed some of the dumbest most pathetic strikers I've ever seen in this game. We get like 5-9 shots on goal a game but every fucking one them is kicked directly to the goalkeeper. There's no effort at all to kick it in the open net, even when it's literally fucking one-on-one. If I had a dollar for every kick they've had that goes straight to the keeper without him even moving, I'd have enough money to quit this damn career and put money down for FM 2019. 

On 04/08/2018 at 00:10, Malenko said:

15 y/o! I'd sign him. Don't count on his determination to change much though. Determination flair and natural fitness are innate stats. They don't change much.

Tutoring can change the determination dramatically. I had a 15 year old come through my youth academy, bags of potential but with a temperamental attitude and determination of 6. I had him tutored and go forward 3 years, he's a wonderkid, balanced personality and determination of 12. I've seen better but that was my most recent one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Tutoring can change the determination dramatically. I had a 15 year old come through my youth academy, bags of potential but with a temperamental attitude and determination of 6. I had him tutored and go forward 3 years, he's a wonderkid, balanced personality and determination of 12. I've seen better but that was my most recent one.

True. I forgot about tutoring, but it's the only way to see a significant change in determination.