Football Manager 2018

Lineker

30 minutes ago, Gazz said:

I'll have you know he has a better than 1 in 5 strike rate for FC Edmonton.

You should've gone for his 50% scoring rate at Whitley Bay, literally 2 in 4 games.

I googled him and the second video selection is a video in which he "nearly scores" which perhaps says it all.

Does anyone ever use a formation that's like 4-1-1-3-1?

I generally use

GK
DR    DC    DC   DL

MC  MC
AMR    AMC    AML
              ST

But I always feel like I concede too many still, like I can be winning 5-0 and if the other team gets a late consolation goal it really winds me up :lol:

Does it work if it's like

DM
MC

or

DM
      MC

So that one is a defensive midfielder or does it just create more problems in midfield?

8 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

I generally use

GK
DR    DC    DC   DL

MC  MC
AMR    AMC    AML
              ST

But I always feel like I concede too many still, like I can be winning 5-0 and if the other team gets a late consolation goal it really winds me up :lol:

MC
MC

or

MC
      MC

So that one is a defensive midfielder or does it just create more problems in midfield?

I use an asymmetric 4-2-3-1. Anchorman and DLP or BBM depending on who I am playing in the AMC position.

14 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

I generally use

GK
DR    DC    DC   DL

MC  MC
AMR    AMC    AML
              ST

MC
MC

or

MC
      MC

MC DM is what I play in my United save, with Matic at DM and Pogba as a Mezzala. It works fairly well.

It's a lot easier to make a player in the DM strata play like a DM than it is to make one in the MC strata.

England won the World Cup 2022. They won all 3 group matches and ended with 12 goals scored (5-0, 4-0 and 3-0) then beat France 3-0, Belgium 2-0, Croatia 1-0, and Holland 2-1 with the world cup winning goal being scored on the 93rd minute.

Second World Cup in a row for England.

I was sacked from Japan. Deserved it too. Now I applied for a bunch of national teams, and hopefully I'll get the chance to crush the hopes and dreams of another nation. That's what I do, apparently.

• Haha 1

So it seems that I'm the only one who can't get either Sabitzer or Forsberg to play football. Every time I play them they do poorly so I've ended up using Bruma and Kampl as my primary wingers. I don't really want to sell them because my coaches insist they are both either 3 1/2 or 4 stars but they just can't play well at all.

4 minutes ago, TMM said:

So it seems that I'm the only one who can't get either Sabitzer or Forsberg to play football. Every time I play them they do poorly so I've ended up using Bruma and Kampl as my primary wingers. I don't really want to sell them because my coaches insist they are both either 3 1/2 or 4 stars but they just can't play well at all.

What are your tactics like?

4 hours ago, TMM said:

I had the same issue with Forsberg when I was Leipzig if I recall. 

Sabitzer however worked wonders as a MR on Winger/Attack with no PI's. 

What formation do you play?

I’m playing a 4-4-2 with the two wingers playing as AML and AMR so pretty standard. I have it set to exploit both flanks but I just can’t grt much out of them but Bruma and Kampl have done much more. Sabitzer and Forsberg came in for a cup game and did well so I’ve decided to give them a chance.

my previous attempt at trying to do a mega rich Ireland game seemed to get corrupted so I have done it again.

This time I have also added a series of loans in a sort of Indian Super League kinda way.

I added Alessandro Del Peiro to Bray Wanderers. I made him Player/Chairman. Just checked in and he is also Captain and their key player.

• Like 1

I wish I could point and laugh ala Nelson at Sporting Kansas City. I applied for the opening in October 2015 and they scoffed and said I had no chance. Well it’s September 2016 and they just fired the guy they did hire after finishing with the worst record in MLS. Haaaa haaa!

I don't think I updated my progress with the might Tottenham Hotspur. Last time I left, I had one game left in the season and the final Champion's League spot was up for grabs.

Well, I played the final game of the season in which I managed to beat Bournemouth away 2-0 thus finishing 4th and claiming said Champion's League spot. Hooray! I was still very angry about the huge dip in the final few months of the season though. I mean, between March and the end of April we managed to win 1 game out of 12, losing 8 of them which included a run of 9 games without a win. How I didn't get sacked, I will never know, in fact, mid-way during this run I was rewarded with a new 4 year contract which I signed.

However, in our final three games of the season we managed a 3-1 home win against Liverpool (have that Alfie Mawson, enjoy 8th and your low wages only allowing you to serve your kids beans on toast), a 2-1 home win against Brighton and the previously mentioned 2-0 win at Bournemouth on the final day. 

Onto the summer business, first of all I was hit with a transfer embargo for a few weeks as there was a potential takeover on the horizon. I was told via the media that the group preparing to buy the club were hell-bent on appoint Mauricio Pochettino as their new manager. Luckily for me, this all fell through. 

In terms of transfer out, we lost Jordi Alba to retirement, which I was very happy about as he was old, slow and the highest earner at the club being paid £200,000 a week for being injured for most of the season. We also let Christoph Kramer's contract run down, he was signed on a free last summer on a 12-month deal and I'd completely forgotten about a mandatory extension if he played in 10 games, since he played his 9th game in February, he wasn't used again. In terms of actual player sales, we sold a regen who wasn't very good for £8m and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain was subject of a £39m bid from Manchester United which I laughed heavily at and accepted (at the time of writing he has yet to appear for Man Utd, classic AI logic again). Other than that, a lot of players went out on loan. 19 in fact, I'm turning into Chelsea. 

Now for signings in, I knew that I had to improve my defence and midfield whilst ideally signing a wide player since I had lost Caggia and Chamberlain over the past 6 months. So for my defensive reinforcements, I decided to bring in Baba Rahman from PAOK on a free transfer on a 2 year deal, perfectly adequate backup. In defence, I ended up signing Malang Sarr from Liverpool, he had been there for three years, playing in the majority of games but he wanted to leave for European football, so I had a £39m bid rising to £45m accepted. In midfield, I looked to Ronaldo Vieira as he had impressed me when I used him in my England squads as well as spending the last four seasons in the Premier League at Newcastle, missing only 5 league games in that time and playing very well. He cost me £27m which could eventually end up being £32.5m. Finally, I searched and searched for a wide player to boost our offensive ranks and I had noticed that Pedro Neto was unsettled at Manchester City. He's quick, good on the ball, good off the ball, is tricky, determined and skilful so it was an absolute no-brainer and cost me a bargain £51m. Summer business complete, and this was all by June 9th. 

Then after spending a bucketload of cash, the board inform me that they will be increasing the stadium to 75,000 seats and moving us back to Wembley for the upcoming season. Hang about. They also take out a nice £60m loan to help pay for it. 

So I get the season underway, and my defence has completely gone to shit as the below results will show you:

TottenhamResults.PNG

Every game conceded at least 2 goals. Fantastic, leaves me worrying about what's going to happen when the goals dry up.