Football Manager 2019

Gazz

After dropping out of the EL and getting kicked out of the cup, the team hit an unreal form that propelled us from a painfully low #11 to #1 with 1 point between me and PSV in the final week. Like two seasons ago, the championship would be settled in the final game of the season. Graafschap Vs. PEC Zwolle, PSV Vs. Feyenoord...

fbb7bd0c6718f52c62f597b151586f91.png

But this time we scrape a 1-0 win against Zwolle whilst PSV and Feyenoord keep each other at a goalless tie! Allowing me to bring the first ever league championship to my hometown de Graafschap, immediately propelling me into being a club icon! :w00t::w00t:

• Like 8

So, I finished my third season with Coventry and despite the fact I had the intention of probably leaving the club to pastures new....i'm going to be staying now.

My disappointingly up and down season continued throughout the whole season, moments of absolute skill pocketed by absolute trash. That being said...

League-Table.png

Pretty awesome climb up the table saw us into 5th position and the playoffs, a final was set against Leeds Utd and.....we lost on penalties after a depressing 0-0 draw (my teams ability to draw, and fail to win matches was a record to behold with 18 in all competitions this season), these draws much like the final against Leeds cost us a better position in the league.

League-Table-2.png

if you'll cast an eye on our schedule it re-iterates our ability to beat the teams we shouldn't and lose to ANY of the teams below us, again being unable to react to the apparent pressure game from lower opponents (my fault) cost us a lot of dropped points. HOWEVER....if you cast an eye about half way up the table...you'll see a delightful game in the Carabao cup...the final against Chelsea to be exact...

Cup-Final.png

Which we went on to win on penalties. This was by far the BIGGEST surprise of the season, I went with a 4-2-3-1 formation and kept everything on the counter. To say it was a success, would be a lie, we got absolutely battered, this has been far our go to formations when playing higher opposition and one that often's see's us struggle against the lower.

formation.png

Penalties would be the order of the day and they just fell apart, maybe the pressure was to much or maybe we did something to appease the gods of luck. Coventry are in the Euro Cup next season lads...and I'm stuck here for another season because...i mean, i have European football to look forward to.

Preseason 20/21 is well under way and I've gone about overhauling the ENTIRE first team. We've been graced with £5 million to spend in the transfer market and about £200,000 in wages. (we are still in the bottom 5 of wages in the championship so I'm going to struggle to bring in the BIG names.

Previously I've been propping up my team with a series of 24 and under signings and looking to prepare them for the future, this season however I think I need a bit more experience in the squad so have opened the doors to some 'older' players.

transfers.png

Our biggest signing so far has been Morgan Fox from Wigan for £1.5m, brought in take the spot at left back previously held by Sam Hart (who himself had replaced Junior Brown). Sam although easily first choice last season was probably not going to be enough to push on higher up the table (though with a team predicted to be in the relegation battle for two seasons) i'm not sure if that's true.

Our other most interesting signing was Andre Wisdom coming in on a free from Derby (who got promoted), he'll give us experience at centre back and hopefully help plug the goals that we can't seem to keep out for the ENTIRETY of the last season. I reluctantly sold Jordy Hiwula to Portsmouth, however he had 1 year left on his contract in addition to earning 8k a week was going to be replaced within the year so..i'll take a few upset players to move him on.

So...its a new season, a new and hopefully stronger squad, lets see where we go shall we?

Edited by SquareRootOfSi

I'm not playing FM19 at all, still on FM12. But I must say, I've had so much damn fun playing that game again. I haven't played FM in years, and I forgot how much fun this game can be, whether it's playing in the Prem, as a top team, a lesser European league, or some random lower league team.

I'm definitely having fun fucking with the editor right now. I've been going through leagues and clubs and finding a lot of the youth players in the game that we know become very good footballers and adjusting their stats appropriately so they can develop the way they should. It's so old now, so I forgot who would show up as 16-17 years old with a current rating in the 60s and only a -6 or -7 PA! 

Will probably do a more complete update a little later. But 4 games into the season we are in the playoffs with only 1 loss to date. Coventry have also now bplayed 8 games in the EuroCup qualifiers and after stomping Fevernavos(spelling) and IFKJ 9swedish team) we got Roma in the 4th Rd Qualifier. 2-1 loss away gave us hope...the 1-0 will at the Ricoh saw us go through the round...EURO HYPE!!

I also brought in WAY to many players...

On 07/08/2019 at 11:23, It's Pronounced Zoom-E said:

I'm not playing FM19 at all, still on FM12. But I must say, I've had so much damn fun playing that game again. I haven't played FM in years, and I forgot how much fun this game can be, whether it's playing in the Prem, as a top team, a lesser European league, or some random lower league team.

I'm definitely having fun fucking with the editor right now. I've been going through leagues and clubs and finding a lot of the youth players in the game that we know become very good footballers and adjusting their stats appropriately so they can develop the way they should. It's so old now, so I forgot who would show up as 16-17 years old with a current rating in the 60s and only a -6 or -7 PA! 

Same. I'm a draw away from completing the Sir Alex Ferguson challenge with Norwich six seasons early. I might take on another club for a season just to see if I can replicate the wall-to-wall success I've had (15 consecutive Premier League champions) before taking on a different challenge. Tweaking the data to replicate real life more accurately might make for a fresh save but the occasional successes of players like Connor Wickham or Dale Jennings whilst Harry Kane becomes a decent Championship player who never quite performs in the top division are fun too.

I've got a long term San Marino challenge game going that's just never quite translated into a successful national side. My club team are consistent title contenders but I just don't have enough quality Sammarinese players coming through the ranks to challenge for the first team, outside of a right back and a couple of 2nd/3rd choice club keepers. The other long term options are the British Steel challenge, which I've never gotten further into than doing most of the Northern Ireland trophies, and the Pentagon, which I have an unlikely MP Black Aces in the African Champions League but performing awfully in the league after a shock title win, and all of my half decent players planning on leaving at the end of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

After six years and back to back titles I left de Graafschap feeling I needed something new to interest me. Ended up at Hertha BSC in a Bundesliga that has seen Bayern dominance since before the start of the game, with RB Leipzig and Dortmund a distant second and third to the Bavarian giants.

Alright team, but lacking in oomph. Plenty of transfer money, but no wage budget to actually move around... The team expected me to finish 8th, and after 10 games I was sitting in 12th and struggling to find any consistency in a league that beyond the top 3 has insane parity. With at least 10 other teams trying to vie for the 4-6th European spots...

unknown.png

I somehow find my mojo back at a certain point, mostly thanks to my strikers being my first and only guys that were putting in work and making the team into a force. Inconsistency hit us late costing us a potential 2nd or 3rd place, but getting into the group stages of the Champions League in my first season with the team, well that's plenty of success for one year, right?

unknown.png

Craziest part is how much difference my strikers made during the season, scoring 49 of the 74 goals we got all season long. Selke was the workhorse, and I almost didn't sign Greenwood from Man Utd's reserves because I was unsure about him. Well, he showed me by carrying the team from February onward and scoring 10 games in a row and just being an unstoppable force that pulled us out of losses and draws. 

And this was the magnum opus of the season...

c853d30a5ba471a1e3673156b3d35d26.png

After losing pathetically in the away game, we had this game after the winter break and we just completely destroyed the mighty Bayern. And of course, Greenwood was front and center in breaking the spirit of the team.

Insert jokes about an English lad dominating the Germans...

Let's see if we can bring that same fire as Hertha goes back into Europe after missing out a few seasons.

20 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

After six years and back to back titles I left de Graafschap feeling I needed something new to interest me. Ended up at Hertha BSC in a Bundesliga that has seen Bayern dominance since before the start of the game, with RB Leipzig and Dortmund a distant second and third to the Bavarian giants.

Alright team, but lacking in oomph. Plenty of transfer money, but no wage budget to actually move around... The team expected me to finish 8th, and after 10 games I was sitting in 12th and struggling to find any consistency in a league that beyond the top 3 has insane parity. With at least 10 other teams trying to vie for the 4-6th European spots...

unknown.png

I somehow find my mojo back at a certain point, mostly thanks to my strikers being my first and only guys that were putting in work and making the team into a force. Inconsistency hit us late costing us a potential 2nd or 3rd place, but getting into the group stages of the Champions League in my first season with the team, well that's plenty of success for one year, right?

unknown.png

Craziest part is how much difference my strikers made during the season, scoring 49 of the 74 goals we got all season long. Selke was the workhorse, and I almost didn't sign Greenwood from Man Utd's reserves because I was unsure about him. Well, he showed me by carrying the team from February onward and scoring 10 games in a row and just being an unstoppable force that pulled us out of losses and draws. 

And this was the magnum opus of the season...

c853d30a5ba471a1e3673156b3d35d26.png

After losing pathetically in the away game, we had this game after the winter break and we just completely destroyed the mighty Bayern. And of course, Greenwood was front and center in breaking the spirit of the team.

Insert jokes about an English lad dominating the Germans...

Let's see if we can bring that same fire as Hertha goes back into Europe after missing out a few seasons.

Greenwood is so class, I took him on loan at Barnet the first year we were in the Prem (he only had the odd few loans for about 6 seasons) and he got 30 for me with 26 in the league.  Tried to bring him in for about £30 million and Utd was not willing to do a deal saying he was vital to their first team.  He then proceeds to make zero league appearances through January and I said screw it and signed him for £55 million.  He got 13 in 15 the rest of the way and he finished 7th and so far this season has 15 in the league and 15 in 15 in the Europa League.

24 minutes ago, Franklin_1 said:

Greenwood is so class, I took him on loan at Barnet the first year we were in the Prem (he only had the odd few loans for about 6 seasons) and he got 30 for me with 26 in the league.  Tried to bring him in for about £30 million and Utd was not willing to do a deal saying he was vital to their first team.  He then proceeds to make zero league appearances through January and I said screw it and signed him for £55 million.  He got 13 in 15 the rest of the way and he finished 7th and so far this season has 15 in the league and 15 in 15 in the Europa League.

What witchcraft are you using to get a striker to score 30 goals? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MDK said:

What witchcraft are you using to get a striker to score 30 goals? 

For a bunch of seasons it a 4-4-2 but that went to hell so I moved to a 4-2-4, I can't remember where I got the formation but it was on the SI forum.  Shaq Coulthirst scored buckets for me on the climb up the leagues, in a 4 season stretch he went 36, 29, 29, 28.  *EDIT* forgot to say he didn't win Fans Player of the Year any of those seasons.

*EDIT 2* Don't want to double post but I think I just had my first suspension overturned in all my time playing the series.  Couldn't have been better timed either as I would have faced the second leg of the Europa League Semifinal without my captain and most experienced centerback.

Edited by Franklin_1
  • Like 1

I took over Manchester United after the first season (where they finished 6th) and can confirm Greenwood is class in the first half season of play. He's had a lot of appearances in cup competitions and done well off the bench.

I brought in Mario Mandzukic as my main striker (4-2-3-1) to get a couple seasons while they youngsters develop after Lukaku's leaving - Mario scores few goals but creates a lot of chances for the 2 inside forwards (and to a lesser extent the attacking midfielder) so whoever is playing out of Rashford, Martial, James, Lingard, Chong, Greenwood, Gomes tend to bang them in. But I'm faced with a dilemma with the youngsters doing so well.

Even McTominay is bossing it so much in the midfield I sold Matic in the January window to cash in before his contract ran out.