Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

39 minutes ago, Hobo said:

I never thought it likely that he'd be offered the job after Klopp tbh

The only way he was getting the Liverpool job eventually was if he had a very successful stint somewhere in the PL. Managing Rangers to a historically great season means something but certainly not "getting the Liverpool job". He likely realized this.

Now we can see what he truly is as a manager and it's breathed new life into the classic Lampard vs Gerrard debates, as we now argue about which is the less competent manager.

I'm not sure about that, he was odds on to replace Klopp based on one season. Obviously it's all speculative but if Gerrard had stayed at Rangers, won a few more league titles and a couple of good European runs, for example if he's still in charge last season losing out on a penalty shoot out in a Europa final - not that I'm convinced they'd have got there with him but again, all speculative - would look great on the CV.

I'm not saying that everyone would necessarily be convinced it was the right move but he wouldn't be the first former player to get promoted beyond his ability, compared to the pedigree of the others around him he'd have something to go on alongside the natural goodwill that these appointments usually have. 

I admire the bloke for taking the chance and not resting on his laurels,taking the gamble by wanting to prove himself with a tough job is admirable, unfortunately he's been generally poor there. I do find it hard to believe people would be writing him off the way people are now on here had he stayed up at Rangers. To be honest I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we're chatting in the 2034/35 thread about Stevie Gs Liverpool. After all, even despite this there'd be a reasonable contingency of Liverpool fans who'd welcome him back and be prepared to overlook this as "yeah but that was with Villa... Imagine what he could do at a real club!"

• Like 3

I definitely could have seen some Liverpool fans pushing for Gerrard if Klopp left. There's always a section of fans who romanticise the idea of seeing club legends return as managers. I remember a fair few Man United fans being enthusiastic about Solskjaer, whose only previous experience in the English league had been a sub-standard spell at Cardiff.

4 hours ago, lanky316 said:

I'm not sure about that, he was odds on to replace Klopp based on one season. Obviously it's all speculative but if Gerrard had stayed at Rangers, won a few more league titles and a couple of good European runs, for example if he's still in charge last season losing out on a penalty shoot out in a Europa final - not that I'm convinced they'd have got there with him but again, all speculative - would look great on the CV.

I'm not saying that everyone would necessarily be convinced it was the right move but he wouldn't be the first former player to get promoted beyond his ability, compared to the pedigree of the others around him he'd have something to go on alongside the natural goodwill that these appointments usually have. 

I admire the bloke for taking the chance and not resting on his laurels,taking the gamble by wanting to prove himself with a tough job is admirable, unfortunately he's been generally poor there. I do find it hard to believe people would be writing him off the way people are now on here had he stayed up at Rangers. To be honest I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we're chatting in the 2034/35 thread about Stevie Gs Liverpool. After all, even despite this there'd be a reasonable contingency of Liverpool fans who'd welcome him back and be prepared to overlook this as "yeah but that was with Villa... Imagine what he could do at a real club!"

I agree with you. Whether it's accurate or not, managers get seen as capable at the top level if they do well with Celtic and Rangers, and Gerrard took them back to the top of Scotland.

Would him being mediocre at Villa rule him out of Liverpool one day? Ole Solskjaer was a flop at Cardiff yet ended up in the Man United job based off nothing other than him being a legendary player and being competent in a lower level league- Norway is not too dissimilar to Scotland.

So I can see Gerrard ending up at Anfield one day.

He's definitely been sacked for speaking out. He won against Villa then was unfortunate to have City, Arsenal and Liverpool back to back. Only manager available I cna think off that might do okay with not much off a budget is Sean Dyche

Yeah, he's definitely been sacked for speaking up, not the performances. Bournemouth haven't strengthened their squad at all. They've brought in Sensei, Tavenier, and Neto only. That's nowhere near enough to stay up given the quality they had to begin with.

The only thing that would surprise me at this point is if Bournemouth finish 19th, and not 20th