Football Manager 2017

Lineker

18 hours ago, MDK said:

Hah, I never realised if you add a comment during a press conference and it is picked as the comment the next day it will say "... before launching into a string of expletives, saying" :lol: 

If you are playing it on the deck you could use a winger that is strong, good intelligence and good passing I guess.

Still reckon its too hard to have cover for that position if you do manage to have a winger specified for the role. I hate having to change the way I play to cover an injury.

Started a new game as Inter and it's great fun. Won my first 3 games handily with an attacking 4-3-3, then had to play Juve. They are ridiculously overpowered! I controlled them for the whole game but just couldn't break them down with Cheilini having a stormer. 1 break later, Higuain rounds Handanovic like he's not there and it's a 1-0 loss. So frustrating!

Icardi is an absolute beast though and Gabriel Barbosa is a huge talent.

12 hours ago, TCO said:

Still reckon its too hard to have cover for that position if you do manage to have a winger specified for the role. I hate having to change the way I play to cover an injury.

Oh yeah, I don't think its something you'd base your tactics around. I reckon an Emile Heskey would be perfect as a WTM.

Had my first experience of a big China bid! Jiangsu came in with an £18mil bid for Ivan Perisic, which I accepted immediately. He's a good player but he didn't fit into my 4-3-3 and he needed flogging eventually. He's gone now and earning £125k a week, which is modest compared to his teammates Ramires and Alex Teixeira.

Cool to see it happening though, I wasn't sure if they were possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TCO said:

Had my first experience of a big China bid! Jiangsu came in with an £18mil bid for Ivan Perisic, which I accepted immediately. He's a good player but he didn't fit into my 4-3-3 and he needed flogging eventually. He's gone now and earning £125k a week, which is modest compared to his teammates Ramires and Alex Teixeira.

Cool to see it happening though, I wasn't sure if they were possible.

They come in for all the fringe players in my United save. Seems like if someone doesn't play for a few games Fuli or whoever come sniffing.

I've never had a Chinese team bid for any of my players. I always thought they might go after Lucas but I've ended up loaning him out to Monaco, Leicester and to a team in Qatar during my three seasons with Liverpool. 

He is a good player on this game still (was really good on FM15 and still solid on FM16) but you need to be playing a certain type of way for him to be effective. I don't really play with ball winning midfielders or defensive midfielders so he wasn't of much use to me other than being squad depth. 

I had Wijnaldum, Henderson, Can, Milner and Lallana all ahead of him in my first season.

Second season I sold Can and signed Hojbjerg from Southampton and Benassi from Torino. 

I play 4231 or 433 so there's 6/7 options ahead of him.  I can't sell him as no one wants him permanently but least his wages have gone down. 

• Like 1

I don't have 17, last one I bought was 14. Fired up a game the other night and decided to go with the unemployed route, thanks @Benji ! I ended up taking over Conference North Stockport County who were recently relegated. They were 10th when I took over in Mid-Late October, Managed to get them to 5th and to the play-off final but succumbed to a 3-1 loss to Histon after taking an early lead. 

Moved a few players on who I didn't feel made the grade and have made a few signings that have worked out well so far, best of the bunch is Ronan Murray on a free who has 10 goals in 12 games in the league, Veteran Striker Phil Jevons has also been scoring and assisting for fun this year carrying on where he left off for me, we're currently at the top of the league so doing well at the moment. We've seen off lower league sides in the F.A Cup and managed to get into the 1st Round against Conference side Solihull Moors who won the Conference North last season. 

Lowest point so far has to be losing to Colwyn Bay last season where I was torn apart by Ade Akinbiyi who bagged a Brace in a 4-0 defeat. 

• Like 1

Halfway through my second season, did okay in the F.A Cup, got knocked out in the 2nd Round against Leyton Orient! @MDK. Hopefully we can win that game in hand when it is eventually played, it seems to rain a lot in Stockport. 35 year old Phil Jevons is leading the scoring in the league with 14 goals in 21 games, he's got 10 assists too! Had a bit of a frustrating run, drawing with a few bottom half teams. The number of goals we are conceding is annoying me despite the fact we've conceded the least in the league we're conceding just over a goal a game.

fmscreen.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDK said:

I signed Moussa Dembele from Celtic in my second season and I keep accidentally bringing him on as a sub for a midfielder :facepalm:

:lol:

Can you still set nicknames on newer FMs? Do that, give him a cool-ass moniker.

I used to love that on the old Champ Manager games, when we were kids we'd rename big players we hated with stupid immature stuff. Sometimes it'd lead to me forgetting I'd done it then being surprised when "Fat Ronaldo" popped up in the News winning World Player of the Year.

• Like 1

Everton got relegated again on my FM. If they get promoted from the Championship again then they'll officially become a yo-yo club. 

It's funny but at the same time it's a bit crap as I'll have to wait a season before playing them again...

I managed to go a full season unbeaten in the Prem having won 29 and drawn 9, thus also breaking the highest points total of 95 (finished on 96)

Currently I am 57 games unbeaten in the league since 26th December 2017 (currently in May 2019). Having won the Prem, the League Cup, the FIFA Club World Cup, the Super Cup and Community Shield already this season I can still win the Europa League (I play Porto in the final) and the FA Cup (Newcastle in the final who survived relegation on the final game of the season)

The only disappointment of the season was my shocking Champions League defence...I thought I would at least qualify from a group of Atletico Madrid, Ajax and Red Bull Leipzig but I lost twice to Atletico (3-2 on both occasions, I also had them in the Group Stage last season but I won once and they won the other game) and lost to Ajax twice....so at least I've managed to put that disappointing campaign behind me and hopefully win the Europa League. 

42 minutes ago, Meacon said:

How is that possible? How do you not go even one game where your squad underperformed and you lose one? I've accepted I am a footie novice and I'll not be dominating this game for quite some time, but fifty-nine games unbeaten just seems impossible.

Finding the right formation is the key. I dunno if it is just me but this FM doesn't seem to have a "God Formation" as in one particular that just dominates the game. Admittedly I've not had a 57 game unbeaten run but I've done alright. I like using a narrow formation with mental wingbacks. 4-2-3-1 narrow and 4-3-2-1 narrow have worked for me and the defensive forward works really well.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 minute ago, MDK said:

Finding the right formation is the key. I dunno if it is just me but this FM doesn't seem to have a "God Formation" as in one particular that just dominates the game. Admittedly I've not had a 57 game unbeaten run but I've done alright. I like using a narrow formation with mental wingbacks. 4-2-3-1 narrow and 4-3-2-1 narrow have worked for me and the defensive forward works really well.

It used to! Remember Diablo...