Football Manager 2017

Lineker

Just now, Lineker said:

It used to! Remember Diablo...

In one of the CM's, maybe one of the last ones, 4-3-1-2 was so overpowered it was unfair. Combined with getting this Cameroonian striker on a free (cant remember his name for the life of me) and some Egyptian CM (Cant remember that Giza's :shifty: name either) it was a massacre. 

Fuck me, I didn't realise it had a name. I thought me and my mate invented that tactic.

There was probably four games I got extremely lucky this season not to lose in the league. Chelsea away in which Origi got an 87th minute pen to draw 2-2, away at Old Trafford in which I drew 1-1 because they were reduced to 9 men and West Ham 3-3 in which they seemed to score whenever they went into my half. Sunderland to beat Arsenal's record of 49 was when I nearly blew it. Was 1-0 down, threw Origi on with 10 minutes left and he scored a 90th minute winner. 

It's took me two seasons to build this team and to get my tactics right. I've got solid depth in the whole team and the fact that the TV money in the Prem and selling people like Markovic and Can for 80mil combined and getting in the likes of Berahino, Benassi, Jese, Hojbjerg and Rudiger in my second season

Third season I sold Sturridge, Mignolet, Ings and Danny Ward and moving on Pedro Pereira and Federico Ricci who I both got second season and sold for a combined 50mil. I signed Alli, Gnabry and Redmond.

My squad is stacked with great young talent who fit my system. Origi has developed into a world beater who went from 21 in all comps first season up to 53 in all comps this season (26 in the league). Madrid spent a year and a half trying to sign him. Henderson this season as a cm on attack has won player of the year, Hojbjerg is immense as a deep lying playmaker. I've got the likes of Mane and Redmond on the right. When both got injured Berahino as a raumdeuter for most of the season scored 26 in all comps. 

I play 4231 with an inside forward on the left in Firmino or Coutinho, advanced playmaker behind the striker usually either Alli or Coutinho, Origi as an advanced forward. Moreno is actually good on this game, Clyne is solid and gets assists, Matip and Rudiger are an amazing defensive partnership.  

Tldr: Took time in building a team to fit a tactic that I tweaked from the first season, good young players who will get better, a bit of luck at times, other teams doing shite (see previous posts about Chelsea as an example) and lots of selling and spending. 

Well, I've just finished my second season at Stockport on FM 14. Made a number of free agents to add to the squad and have seen a vast improvement in terms of goalscoring but we were also never far away from the odd hammering also A 6-4 away win over summed up our defensive frailties despite often scoring. Spent the whole season in the top 4. We took 1st place a lot of times but we had some poor runs of form which saw us looking likely to drop away but an enforced change to 4-4-fucking-2 from 4-3-1-2 seemed to pick things up toward the end of the season. We were top on the last day of the season facing Stalybridge away who had to win to stand a chance of finishing 5th which is the last play off spot, we were 2 points clear of Boston with a superior Goal Difference meaning avoiding defeat would clinch the title. We lost the game 1-0 to an early goal, however Worcester managed to score a winning goal in the last minutes against Boston!!  It was the least they could have done really, they hammered me twice in the league but failed to get close to the top 5. Problem now is all but one player is out of contract in the summer so I'm going to have to do my best to keep the players I want to keep for next season's challenge. 

Promotion.png

6 hours ago, Meacon said:

How is that possible? How do you not go even one game where your squad underperformed and you lose one? I've accepted I am a footie novice and I'll not be dominating this game for quite some time, but fifty-nine games unbeaten just seems impossible.

I went 132 League games undefeated. But then I'm in Serbia and my reserves were all 3 star players or 4-5star potential. I rotate my squad a lot. I use maybe 25 players per season throughout the league, cups and Europe comps. I no longer use the reverse 2 formation I had but a normal 4-2-2-2 Wingers so basically a 4-2-4 as my wingers are attack oriented.

Ended up losing 0-1 to a newly promoted team. It was bound to happen but happy it wasn't against Partizan.

I need to get back into my game. A mixture of being fucked over with injuries in the first month (Tony hamstring whilst on Int duty, Zlatan broken ankle inside 5mins of a Europa game I'd planned to rest him for before the Tony injury :/), subsequent poor results and games coming out on Xbox have meant I haven't put much time into it. 

1 hour ago, Jericode said:

How much better than FM16 is this one now then? 16's feeling really clunky to me at the moment.

It feels a lot better. And like I said earlier in the thread it seems like you can get any formation to work as long as you have the players, there is no all conquering formation. And I dunno if I've only just noticed it but the opposition managers tend to mix up their tactics a bit more often.

At big clubs I have no concept of money in regard to wages. I always set the wages to per annum instead of per week and looking at a player earning 4mil per year and them saying they want a wage rise infuriates me. No, Mr Vertongen, 4mil is enough, you greedy Belgian tosser. Have a fucking waffle instead.

• Like 2

I dunno how much the recent update has effected things but I've had two declarations of interest in two Spurs players from Chinese clubs. Victor Wanyama (fair enough, not been playing as much since I signed some young Dutch player) and an interest in Erik Lamela (wat?).