Football Manager 2017

Lineker

When does the Brexit decision occur? I'm in May 2018 so I'm assuming any day now...

Meanwhile, we're up to League 2! And the board have announced that they're going to build a new stadium!

tran05.png

...They have no idea what kind of stadium, but they're totally going to build one. Honest. :shifty: 

• Like 2

Two of my three first-team strikers got injured in the week leading up to the start of the season, so I signed a fourth... 34-year-old Darren Bent!

His first act was to miss a penalty in a shootout loss to Blackpool in the EFL Cup. :shifty: 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stokeriño said:

When does the Brexit decision occur? I'm in May 2018 so I'm assuming any day now...

I think it can take between 2 and 10 years to find out. You can get a soft, medium or hard Brexit, mine was the UK leaves but Gibraltar stayed. But I can tell you as fact that mine is balls, how can you justify having to buy someone who is out of contract, it really makes lower league management a fucking trial. 

• Like 1

Just complete my fifth season with Red Star in Serbia.

5 League Championships
5 Cup Championships
4 Super Cups (First one was played before I took over)
5 x Manager pf the year
5x League PotY, League Young PotY, Serbian PotY

Basically everything there is in Serbia. Best thing I've gotten out of Europe is I've gotten Serbia to a position where I can automatically qualify for Group Stages.
I'm going to have to start bringing in foreign workers as my All-Serb them is hard to push beyond a certain level.
As a tester I bought in Karim Benzema from Real Madrid (cost ‎£1.2Mil) to play up front with Luka Jovic, Denys Garmash from Dynamo Kyiv (£4Mil) to play in midfield with Matic and Jonjo Shelvey on a Free from Newcastle to see if English players can manage in Serbia (He'll be flipped for cash at some point)

You'll be happy to know I changed my formation by bringing my DM back up into the Midfield slot.

I've also just started a Chelsea save. Played unemployed for 5 years and have taken over with a slightly different squad to play with.

I have a player that wants to move to a Cypriot club. He's Cypriot, so fair enough. But his reason is that he wants to go to this Cypriot club because they play in a better division. They don't have a fucking league. If you are sick of deep fried mars bars and would prefer a kebab just say so, don't waffle to me.

2 hours ago, MDK said:

I have a player that wants to move to a Cypriot club. He's Cypriot, so fair enough. But his reason is that he wants to go to this Cypriot club because they play in a better division. They don't have a fucking league. If you are sick of deep fried mars bars and would prefer a kebab just say so, don't waffle to me.

Is this in your Scottish League Two game? Surely even no division is better than having to play Montrose four times a season.

3 hours ago, Rocky said:

Just complete my fifth season with Red Star in Serbia.

5 League Championships
5 Cup Championships
4 Super Cups (First one was played before I took over)
5 x Manager pf the year
5x League PotY, League Young PotY, Serbian PotY

Basically everything there is in Serbia. Best thing I've gotten out of Europe is I've gotten Serbia to a position where I can automatically qualify for Group Stages.
I'm going to have to start bringing in foreign workers as my All-Serb them is hard to push beyond a certain level.
As a tester I bought in Karim Benzema from Real Madrid (cost ‎£1.2Mil) to play up front with Luka Jovic, Denys Garmash from Dynamo Kyiv (£4Mil) to play in midfield with Matic and Jonjo Shelvey on a Free from Newcastle to see if English players can manage in Serbia (He'll be flipped for cash at some point)

You'll be happy to know I changed my formation by bringing my DM back up into the Midfield slot.

I've also just started a Chelsea save. Played unemployed for 5 years and have taken over with a slightly different squad to play with.

Is there anything that makes the Serbian leagues stand out? I'm trying to find leagues that are different than your typical ones.

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

Is there anything that makes the Serbian leagues stand out? I'm trying to find leagues that are different than your typical ones.

Not really. Only ruling they seem to bring up is no more than 6 foreign players in your team. There are two parts to the season. Preliminary (July-mar/apr) then groups (Top half/bottom half) where your points get halved so everyone has a "better chance" to win. I haven't had any workers requiring Work Permits so I don't think that's a thing.
Once you get your team and tactic right then it all becomes repetitive but the Euro comps always bring in the challenges. That's why I tried to do it with an all-Serb team.

The biggest problem you'll have is growth. It's hard luring big names to Serbia because the league isn't the strongest. Even now I've pushed Red Star up to Continental  4 Stars and I still struggle to bring in bigger names.

6 hours ago, Adam said:

Is this in your Scottish League Two game? Surely even no division is better than having to play Montrose four times a season.

League One now, mate, got promoted last game of the season. Completely gutted the squad and signed loads of people on a free before the Bosman got scrapped. 

• Like 1

When playing in unfamiliar divisions, in the past I've taken the pre-match odds as a (very) rough indicator as to whether my opposition is meant to be any good. I think I'm going to have to stop doing that in FM17.

I mean, I'm up in League 2 and my first four games have been a neatly balanced W2 L2 (plus a penalty loss in the cup). In most of those matches, I was given fairly close odds for a win and the results were appropriately narrow to match. However, for game 5 I'm presented with this:

tran06.png

"Hmm, looks serious," I think. Indeed, these are the harshest odds I can remember being given in any league match of the prior two years. In fairness, the fact it was applying these to Leyton Orient of all people ought to have been a red flag in itself.

Obviously I then win 4-0, equaling my biggest win in this save to date. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

On another note, I didn't realise that Checktrade Trophy group stage games go to penalties if you draw, and the shootout winners come away with 2 points and the losers 1 point. That's a bit loopy.

I'm guessing that it's the only way to have clear winners going through as you only play three matches? 

33 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

When playing in unfamiliar divisions, in the past I've taken the pre-match odds as a (very) rough indicator as to whether my opposition is meant to be any good. I think I'm going to have to stop doing that in FM17.

I mean, I'm up in League 2 and my first four games have been a neatly balanced W2 L2 (plus a penalty loss in the cup). In most of those matches, I was given fairly close odds for a win and the results were appropriately narrow to match. However, for game 5 I'm presented with this:

tran06.png

"Hmm, looks serious," I think. Indeed, these are the harshest odds I can remember being given in any league match of the prior two years. In fairness, the fact it was applying these to Leyton Orient of all people ought to have been a red flag in itself.

Obviously I then win 4-0, equaling my biggest win in this save to date. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, I'm very annoyed

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Just Joe said:

I'm guessing that it's the only way to have clear winners going through as you only play three matches? 

No, it's because Shaun Harvey and his EFL cretins are bonehead morons with no clue how to run the game. We lost a penalty shoot-out the other week at the end of which we had gone through as group winners and the team who beat us were out.

The whole competition is a total nonsense.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

No, it's because Shaun Harvey and his EFL cretins are bonehead morons with no clue how to run the game. We lost a penalty shoot-out the other week at the end of which we had gone through as group winners and the team who beat us were out.

The whole competition is a total nonsense.

Yup. I still don't fully understand the competition.