Football Manager 2017

Lineker

4 hours ago, Meacon said:

You took Serbia to #3 in the world? How in the blue hell does that even happen?

There was a lot of up and down in the last 10 years but they've been around. I took over June 3031. They were sitting in 18th so not so bad. I never played too many friendlies and only accepted when they came knocking.
Jumped up to 10th after qualifying for the World Cup after a string of victories.
Jumped to third after beating Brazil in the first knockout round but lost in the Quarterfinals to eventual winners Netherlands.
I think I won about 85% of my matches. I stood down in November 2034.
958e8264fd8181f834e2f3c82932be9a.png

• Like 1

And I am finished with Red Star... Well, "Finished," as I haven't actually resigned or retired yet. I think the timing might be right though. there are signs that my regime has ended.
My first signing was a youth regen (i think) back in week one of my game. He will be retiring in a couple of weeks.
After 10 years I had the choice to add a son to the game. I did. This week, PSG offered $128MIL (Clause) and he may well be moving on.

My stats

Spoiler

1z2lvfd.jpg2e0l8xi.jpg

Might try out the challenges now before moving onto another save.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw this on sale for 13 euros, so I balked and got it despite promising myself not to all year. Great timing too, with the season being finished and all... But i'll toss it onto my laptop and help it hold me over through boring summer holiday days once that comes around. For 13 euros, i'll prolly be able to waste more than enough time with this.

Any suggestions for this year's version? Anything that works, or doesn't work? I don't need completely pre-made tactics or lists of wonderkids, just some starting advice that differs from FM16.

Meanwhile, into 2019-20 as England after coming 2nd in my European League Div A group (Spain topped it and went onto the semis, Russia were relegated, France won the whole thing), and some established names are probably heading the way of Rooney and Walcott (out of the squad, and out of thier clubs - Theo is a free agent and Rooney is now retired):

Jack Butland, Joe Hart, Jordan Pickford

Luke Shaw, Matthew Targett (Danny Rose is usually 2nd choice over Targett, but chose Targett for this squad)

Nathaniel Clyne, Trent Alexander-Arnold (replacing Kyle Walker as 2nd choice)

John Stones (C), Joe Gomez, Michael Keane, Axel Tuanzebe, Reece Oxford (Eric Dier and Chris Smalling would normally be here but Gomez, Oxford and Tuanzeve are more than capable of the step up at this point)

Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Tom Davies, Lewis Baker (Henderson and a fit Jack Wilshere are normally my 2nd choices, but Davies is at their level and Baker is close - along with Shelvey and Will Hughes)

Marcus Rashford, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Reiss Nelson (Nelson is 3rd choice right wing behind Redmond and Ox, whilst normally I'd have either Sterling, Welbeck or more recently Ademola Lookman as Rashford's back up)

John Swift (attacking midfield role that Lallana has made his own for me - normally, I don't use him at all but this save he's been beastly. Swift isn't at his level, but effective back ups are thin on the ground - Ravel Morrison being the only competition for Swift)

Harry Kany, Saido Berahino, Dominic Solanke (Solanke's been called up rather than Deeney or Vardy or Wilson or Ings or Sturridge because I can, basically. I play a sole striker and I have back ups in my attacking midfield/wingers - Berahino and Solanke can also play on either wing - so out and out strikers not called Harry Kane aren't much use usually).

By the Euros I expect Targett to replace Rose and Gomez to be very very close to pushing Smalling out the squad altogether.

I take your Kike, and I raise you this...

Ul13Ubw.png

Also, took Heerenveen. Found out they have zero good backs, so I went 3142DM... Started first five games with a 3-1-1 record, now I haven't won a league game in 9 games and got a 0-6-3 record after the first five.

At least I've won my first two cup ties, so I at least got that going for me. Lots of talent, but somehow I can't even get possession advantages even with a packed midfield.

• Like 3