Premier League 2021/22

Lineker

55 minutes ago, Matt said:

Literally no one apart from that one reporter heard any Hillsborough chanting; it was probably 2 pissed up cunts that happened to be stood near the reporter.

Not playing the "he said she said card" but knowing people who went the game they said they could hear it. But again not the majority but at the same time I wouldn't downplay it as just 2 pissed cunts when there was a smattering of 96 will not be missed.

It happens weekly whenever anyone plays Liverpool you'll get an "Always the victim" chant. Having seen the effect Hillsborough had on my dad and others it's not a nice thing to hear given the whole let's sweep it under the carpet and blame the fans. 

And again there's dickheads who were putting turkey flags on their phones or chanting Galatasaray. This isn't a one sided thing. Two lads went away for a game of football and didn't come home. Its horrible 

I just hate chants that are basically a race to the bottom of human decency. Poverty, death, homophobia etc isn't "banter". 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Harvey Elliot's also come out and said he didn't think it was a red. 

His public handling of all of this is starting to make me think he might be maturing a bit, which is definitely a good sign for his future and his ceiling within the game. As long as there's no serious ligament damage, you wouldn't expect him to be out for too long, right?

Probably at worst maybe a few months but hopefully as you said ligament damage isn't too bad. He's played really well the first few games of the season and is linking up well with Salah and Trent on the right hand side. It's a big show of faith as well that he's started 3 games including a home game against Chelsea. 

• Like 4

I don't really get it when I watch Liverpool games and away fans start chanting anti-Liverpool stuff. Whether it's "Always the victim" or "Feed the scousers" or "Sign on" or whatever. What is the point? It feels miserable and petty.

I'm biased obviously in that I only watch Liverpool games and I only watch these games on TV.  It feels like is that Liverpool fans by and large have a greater repertoire of songs on which to draw than most other teams. Again, maybe it's a bias on my part.

But it does often feel like when watching these games that other clubs have less songs about their own club? Or that they focus more on singing about Liverpool (either the team or its supporters) when playing them.  I would struggle to think of supportive songs that opposition teams sing when they play Liverpool. Maybe that's a bias because I don't watch enough of other teams. Or that the ones I do hear seem very generic in comparison to a lot of the Liverpool ones.

And I know Liverpool supporters do also sing some offensive stuff too (the club put out a really good video with Jurgen Klopp and a representative from Kop Outs! the LGBTQ+ supporters group talking about the issue of homophobic chants recently) Again, what is even the point? Just sing the fun songs about the footballers.

If you're going to chant or sing anything antagonistic just be silly about it or sing about football and the actual players. They'd probably like that a lot more than a song referencing the socio-economic conditions of Liverpool during Thatchers government or songs about tragic events from 30 years ago.

Reports are that Harvey could come back before the end of the season, which is lovely. Absolutely happy for him, he seems to be maturing well beyond his years.

We still have great depth there with him out, with Milner, Keita and AOC still around, Minamino as well. Though, I hope we get more Curtis Jones instead, as he and Elliot are both the current and the future of our team. Excited to see more of him. 

2 hours ago, Kyle. said:

I'd go with competent referees being chased away from the game at a grass roots level leading to incompetent officials, but I could be wrong on that one.

All referees are being chased out the game at grassroots level, there's several games a week in my league that are having to be reffed by parents or coaches.

Hayden's tackle on James sure was something too. About as stonewall a penalty as you'll ever see. Don't even think VAR checked it.

17 hours ago, Gazz said:

Hayden's tackle on James sure was something too. About as stonewall a penalty as you'll ever see. Don't even think VAR checked it.

Willock wasn't it? Hayden was too busy getting fouled by Mike Dean...

Great win for us today. Loved seeing VAR used correctly to overturn an incorrect award of a penalty. Even better than it made Dyche more angry than usual.

I’m really excited to see this new first XI play more, they still need time to gel a bit but on paper at least - it’s a really strong looking side.

• Like 1