Football Manager 2020

Lineker

6 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

One smaller feature I really enjoy in FM20 is that the game gives away a LOT more secondary nationalities when generating newgens to youth intakes.

I got a North Irish/Dutch midfielder next to my Australian/Scottish midfielder. There's an English/Vietnamese striker in the league, whilst Arsenal is playing a South Korean/Brazilian superstar.

Some combinations might be a bit ridiculous, but I like the variety in nationalities it creates in teams, and probably makes lesser nations a bit more viable because you're going to get more talented players who can't play for England who choose to go play for another nation instead.

My favourite ever regen was in 2012 a Brazillian/Polish lad called Nei. I love the dual nationalities that pop up, adds a bit of realism to the game and makes it fun to see who they play for.

I always think of these regens when I see current Argentinian international Alexis Mac Allister!

30 minutes ago, TCO said:

current Argentinian international Alexis Mac Allister!

how do I miss these things? That's brilliant. And his brothers are called Francis and Kevin! Great Argentinian names.

Edited by metalman

Post-Christmas just hasn't gone well really. Icardi's done well, he's got 6 in 9, but otherwise it's just average. Thumped by Liverpool and City in the League, so there's not even that to play for here at Chelsea really, knocked out of the FA Cup by Spurs, and lost the first leg to Barcelona 4-0. Not even an away goal. Pathetic. Absolutely the right time to leave.

So as of now, I've moved onto Bayern Munich. First sour note, they got dumped out of the German Cup by Hannover in the 2nd round, so can't rush my way to winning that. Their also 13 points off the pace in the league, which is being absolutely stormed by Bayer Leverkusen, managed by Daniel Farke. Apparently keeping Norwich up was enough to get him a job interview, and now he's winning league titles, fair play.

The better news is their a much better Champions League prospect, holding Atletico to a 1-1 draw and taking an away goal back to Germany with them, so I like my chances.

19 hours ago, metalman said:

I played two games of FM 2020 and I’m really not feeling it. I don’t know if it’s because I’m Gateshead or if I’m just over FM now. Bit sad, I spent £30 on it 😕

You can try doing something you've not done in the past, or haven't done in a while.

I chose to create my own team, Edinburgh United (not the real one) and put them in the Vanarama North. It's been a fun exercise to create my own graphics for the team and building them up to get into the league system.

In my seventh year now, and we finished our second National League season in 10th place after finishing in 14th in our first. We've not regressed a single time, and only once finished in the same spot (two 2nd places in the Vana North). One of the more unexpected challenges of this save is that for some reason a lot of players refuse to rebase to Scotland outright, and the ones that are open tend to ask for much more money than ordinary.

As a result my signing limitations have been limited in the lower leagues, having to find players willing to take on the 'challenge' of moving to the faraway land of Scotland to play for my club. Also, North Irish and Scottish leagues in turn became my main market to sign players because those players are more willing to play along.

It's really challenging, and is most likely the reason (or my incompetence) that I haven't been running up the pyramid. Although i'm expecting my signing woes to become gradually less harsh after I reach the league system and players are generally more open to play a bit further away.

Anyways, not that you should create a custom team, but a different challenge with a set motivation might be best to get into the game proper. Unless you already had one going with Gateshead, then... erm... A different challenge? Perhaps more exotic leagues like Greece, Croatia, or Hungary.

I tell you what, of all the things I expected to happen moving to Munich, I didn't expect to turn into an artist, but so far all I've done since I've joined them is draw.

I don't really understand what's gone wrong for them, Lewandowski's got 22 goals for them so far, but everyone else is just lacking. I might just try and defend my way to the Champions League and do a full squad rebuild in the summer.

25 minutes ago, Jericode said:

I tell you what, of all the things I expected to happen moving to Munich, I didn't expect to turn into an artist, but so all I've done since I've joined them is draw.

That's not bad for you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

I chose to create my own team, Edinburgh United (not the real one)

I had no idea there was a real Edinburgh United. But it turns out they’re away in the south-west. I don’t go there. It’s just golf courses, and, apparently, Edinburgh United.

• Like 1

One slight nitpick I’ve always had is the tendency for these packs to replace flags with football association emblems, which, when you think about it, don’t always make sense. It’s fine for national teams, but it’s a bit dumb as a means of representing nationality. If I’m Scottish that should be represented by the Scotland flag - the globally recognised signifier of Scottish nationality. Not the bloody SFA logo.

Flags are some of the best and most iconic logos we have. Dumb to get rid of them.

I think I got my Logo and Kit packs from FM Scout. The logo pack wasn't a huge file, and then I cherry picked some kit packs based on leagues.

I wish I could do that for player pictures as well. I don't want a 15GB file with 718741278478 individual pictures.

The kits all come in individual league/country packs but there was a guy on Reddit who put them all in his Stack and if you click Download Map it'll download them all in one go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, metalman said:

One slight nitpick I’ve always had is the tendency for these packs to replace flags with football association emblems, which, when you think about it, don’t always make sense. It’s fine for national teams, but it’s a bit dumb as a means of representing nationality. If I’m Scottish that should be represented by the Scotland flag - the globally recognised signifier of Scottish nationality. Not the bloody SFA logo.

Flags are some of the best and most iconic logos we have. Dumb to get rid of them.

Totally agree with you there. Presumably just deleting the FA badges would revert it back to the original flags.

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

I think I got my Logo and Kit packs from FM Scout. The logo pack wasn't a huge file, and then I cherry picked some kit packs based on leagues.

I wish I could do that for player pictures as well. I don't want a 15GB file with 718741278478 individual pictures.

Facepacks should definitely come in teams or leagues, like the logos and kits tend to. I think what's left of the FM12 images out there does this but only for an odd selection of non-English but top European clubs.

I get why they aren't, as players moving clubs mean that the constant switching of folders is a lot of work for someone when it doesn't actually affect whether or not the pic shows up in game, but I don't really want a pack that large. I'd take an elite European players/wonder kids pack tbh. Pretty sure there was one for FMM like that a few years ago. 

Ended up getting knocked out of the Champions League by Leipzig of all teams, and we came 4th in the Bundesliga. This team needs drastic changes, I honestly want to sell about half of them.

Anyway, not hanging around, 94m to steal Haaland, cheers Dortmund.

Liverpool retained the Champions League again ffs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ADG said:

The kits all come in individual league/country packs but there was a guy on Reddit who put them all in his Stack and if you click Download Map it'll download them all in one go.

Not all heroes wear capes.