Football Manager 2020

Lineker

17 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

My assistant told me to use this tactic at HSV but I didn't have a really great forward at the time. It didn't matter.

The 4-2-3-1 gegenpress is completely overpowered for any mid table or above team. Below that I find 4-3-2-1 works wonders. It heavily relies on a great deep lying playmaker. At Bayern it was Thiago and at Juventus it was Pjanic and both averaged in the 7.5s for the season.

Edit: and you don't need a great striker for the gegenpress. Most goals come from the wing.

50 minutes ago, RazorsEdge said:

Think it started as a vertical titk-taka 4-3-2-1

GK
WB(S)
BPD(D)
BPD(D)
WB (S)

DLP (D)

BBM (S)
BBM (S)

Inverted Winger (A)
Inverted Winger (A)

Poacher(A)/Advanced Forward (A)

Extra crosses for wing backs.

I thought the usual advice was that having players in the same positions and roles, i.e. your CBs and CMs, wouldn't be as effective as having different roles. In any case, a wide 4-2-3-1 works pretty well as far back as FM12, where I naturally stumbled upon it being effective. The only formations I've found that work as well as 4-2-4 (basically 4-4-2 but with AMs) and the narrow version of 4-2-3-1, which is what Man City usually default to.

I usually like to do that 4-5-1, 4-3-2-1, 4-3-3 or whatever the hell you like to call it too.

But I usually have the wingbacks set to automatic, the defensive mid set to defence, one centre mid set to support and another centre mid set to attack. And one of the two wingers and the forward will play a support role. I'm not really ideologically aligned to any particular role - I tend to swap them in or out depending on what the players in question are good at.

6 hours ago, Naitch said:

I thought the usual advice was that having players in the same positions and roles, i.e. your CBs and CMs, wouldn't be as effective as having different roles. In any case, a wide 4-2-3-1 works pretty well as far back as FM12, where I naturally stumbled upon it being effective. The only formations I've found that work as well as 4-2-4 (basically 4-4-2 but with AMs) and the narrow version of 4-2-3-1, which is what Man City usually default to.

It used to be that you had to have different roles but this year it seems you can get away with the same eg the two BBM midfielders which was originally me tinkering in pre season at Bayern to get Goretzka and Toliso both starting. Again I think the strong DLP behind them in Thiago is what made it work. Then at Juve it was Matuidi/Bentancur with Pjanic behind.

47 minutes ago, Baddar said:

How does Tuanzebe develop? Seeing mixed reviews about him online but I'd love to make him good enough to not have to fork out. 

Probably not going to be anymore than your third choice central defender, tbh.

EDIT:
haaland.png

I kind of feel like this is cheating but fuck it I'm a glory hunter, right? :shifty:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

Probably not going to be anymore than your third choice central defender, tbh.

His potential ability suggests otherwise. Easily leading player for Premier League.

6 hours ago, Baddar said:

How does Tuanzebe develop? Seeing mixed reviews about him online but I'd love to make him good enough to not have to fork out. 

Spoiler

image.png

Second season, still with room to develop, my only issue with him is his low vision. Mentally by the time he's 29/30, he'll be a monster.

• Like 1

Only made two signings for Juventus in the summer, 74m for Pepe from Man City, Mason Greenwood for 39.5m from Man United.

After two games, Pepe broke his foot on international duty :facepalm: he's now out until December.

Greenwood has been a revelation though, 11 goals in 10 games. 

This Juventus team is quite well set up bar weakness in attack. My Chelsea old boys Emerson and Angel Correa are here, along with Ferland Mendy, Ruben Neves, Thomas Lemar, Marco Verratti, and Luis Suarez who they apparently managed to grab on a free transfer. They've got a wealth of good left backs, centre backs and central midfielders, but Suarez was their only striker and they had no decent wing cover (and still don't now Pepe is crocked). Right back is probably my January priority, Danilo is all I've got there.

Are they coding in all the modern players to appear as they should or is it all regens after a certain point? I noticed Kane there but he would have been 6 when the database started!

6 minutes ago, TCO said:

Are they coding in all the modern players to appear as they should or is it all regens after a certain point? I noticed Kane there but he would have been 6 when the database started!

Not sure about all but the most promising ones all appear.

21 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Only made two signings for Juventus in the summer, 74m for Pepe from Man City, Mason Greenwood for 39.5m from Man United.

After two games, Pepe broke his foot on international duty :facepalm: he's now out until December.

Greenwood has been a revelation though, 11 goals in 10 games. 

This Juventus team is quite well set up bar weakness in attack. My Chelsea old boys Emerson and Angel Correa are here, along with Ferland Mendy, Ruben Neves, Thomas Lemar, Marco Verratti, and Luis Suarez who they apparently managed to grab on a free transfer. They've got a wealth of good left backs, centre backs and central midfielders, but Suarez was their only striker and they had no decent wing cover (and still don't now Pepe is crocked). Right back is probably my January priority, Danilo is all I've got there.

Greenwood is massively underrated by the FM community. I've gotten great work out of him as an out and out striker and as a right winger right from the get go. If I couldn't get Haaland he'd be my second choice in a heartbeat.

Haaland joined City for £114m at the start of last season, he's scored goals for fun every year. Would have loved him but was out of my price range.

Greenwood scored 7 for Man United last year and then got transfer listed, which is why I got him for less than £40m. He scored 20 in his entire Man United career, which is awful considering he went on loan to Nice for the 21/22 season and scored 18 that year. He has 13 for me already and I'm not in November yet.

8 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Haaland joined City for £114m at the start of last season, he's scored goals for fun every year. Would have loved him but was out of my price range.

Greenwood scored 7 for Man United last year and then got transfer listed, which is why I got him for less than £40m. He scored 20 in his entire Man United career, which is awful considering he went on loan to Nice for the 21/22 season and scored 18 that year. He has 13 for me already and I'm not in November yet.

In my current game he's not doing well. 3 in 18 games in 19/20, 4 in 26 games in 20/21 and only averaging 6.90s.

In one of my other games where I played as United he replaced an injured Martial and scored nearly a goal a game and was that good that I ended up shipping Martial out the next season. He seems to play better under a human player than the AI.

58 minutes ago, RazorsEdge said:

In my current game he's not doing well. 3 in 18 games in 19/20, 4 in 26 games in 20/21 and only averaging 6.90s.

In one of my other games where I played as United he replaced an injured Martial and scored nearly a goal a game and was that good that I ended up shipping Martial out the next season. He seems to play better under a human player than the AI.

In my Utd game, Greenwood is ridiculous, scoring for fun and keeping Lautauro Martinez out of the team

• Like 1