Football Manager 2020

Lineker

Halfway through my third season with Queen's Park now and I'm sitting top of the Championship after back-to-back promotions in years one and two. Annoyingly my original thought was I could make the club bigger and successful to the point that perhaps one day in the very distant future we'd go from having 200 fans inside Hampden to a 50,000 sellout. Alas the moment I was promoted from League 2 and the club turned semi-professional the board decided we should move to the 2,000 capacity Lesser Hampden and I can only assume we sold Hampden itself as the finances of the club got a massive increase overnight, going up by about £5m. Now we're looking at promotion to the Scottish Premiership but I'm dreading that campaign because the club's stature and reputation, plus our finances, mean that I can't really envisage a scenario whereby I can put together a team that can survive - hell I've still got a couple of players on Amateur contracts from the League 2 season - and I think that we'll quickly end up haemorrhaging money and end up in a lot of debt without a takeover. 

1 hour ago, ADG said:

Halfway through my third season with Queen's Park now and I'm sitting top of the Championship after back-to-back promotions in years one and two. Annoyingly my original thought was I could make the club bigger and successful to the point that perhaps one day in the very distant future we'd go from having 200 fans inside Hampden to a 50,000 sellout. Alas the moment I was promoted from League 2 and the club turned semi-professional the board decided we should move to the 2,000 capacity Lesser Hampden and I can only assume we sold Hampden itself as the finances of the club got a massive increase overnight, going up by about £5m. Now we're looking at promotion to the Scottish Premiership but I'm dreading that campaign because the club's stature and reputation, plus our finances, mean that I can't really envisage a scenario whereby I can put together a team that can survive - hell I've still got a couple of players on Amateur contracts from the League 2 season - and I think that we'll quickly end up haemorrhaging money and end up in a lot of debt without a takeover. 

The move to Lesser Hampden is coded in the game as Queens Park are moving there in January 2021 in real life. They currently have an agreement with the SFA to sell Hampden to them. I'm not sure if the sale has been completed though. 

Derby County - 2022-2023 

image.png

So finally managed to break into the European spots after finishing 8th the previous season.  I was struggling after losing Koita and not having a striker so I recalled Maciel my regen striker I signed at the start of the season from his previous club and he finished with 13 goals in 20 games, really needed someone to bring the goals in and considering he only played half the season, to get 13 goals and finish in the top end of the top scorers in the league was impressive. February was the turning point in the season as I won 11 out of 17 matches (beat the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham, Man Utd and Man City) and lost to only Brighton and Chelsea. 

Ivory Coast - AFCON
This is quite short as there isn't really much to add as I was expected to blitz through the competition which I did. I qualified for the semi finals only to be offered the France job as Claude Puel had left them to go to Barcelona....so I did the only sane thing I could and was accept the job. Meaning I didn't get to finish the rest of the competition as I had to start right away. (Ivory Coast ended up losing in the semis to Cameroon 1-0...I do feel a bit bad about this) 

2023-2024 - Derby
Only in pre-season at the minute but there's been some key changes in the squad. Due to how well some of my players have been performing I've been offered stupid money for several players and I've milked it a bit and I've sold them to bring in people who in the short term are probably equal to their sold counterpart but can get better. 

image.png

Eze is the big one to go but 48.5mil was a daft offer to turn down given that Zekhnini who I brought in last season was one of the most creative players in the league last season playing AML and I've got Van Der Heide who I got in last season as back up. Hradecky I was pissed off with tbh he started getting shirty and tbh although he has potential I thought to myself he wasn't scoring goals (well he never scored for me) so to get 16.75mil rising to 18.5mil is good enough for me. Lato leaving was due to bringing in Jamal Lewis who is better and I've got a Lithuanian regen who can play their who on paper is probably my best left back but he's more of a defensive fullback. 

Gonzalez brings some better depth into midfield as Will Hughes has proven to be a bang-average buy.

Franco bolsters the central defence that leaked many goals last season so I'm quite sorted for centreback depth now with him, McKenna, Clarke-Salter and Jose Anderson (brazilian regen) 

Buendia again adds strength into AMC and can also cover AMR if needed. 

Sergio Aguero I've got on cheap wages for a season to add some options at striker as I've sold Marriott and "worst signing of the season" Mousset (he did win Derby goal of the season though with his one goal) 

SQUAD

In terms of my squad (see below) I'm quite happy with it but I may need an extra body in centre midfield and possibly right wing as I've loaned a few squad options out to get them more first team football. Whether that's be promoting from within or bringing in someone. I've got approximately 12mil to play with so might be able to sort one of those positions out at the bare minimum. 

image.pngI'

The epic adventures of Alfreton/Norway 25/26:

Club wise was what can only be described as 'doing a Leeds', the modern day version of that phrase which is good for the first half of the season, middling to bad in the second. Was in around the top but fell away a bit to in and around the playoffs, ended up finishing 3rd but lost in the playoff semis to Charlton. Managed to get to the semi finals of the FA Cup due to a very favourable set of draws that had us against Grimsby in the 3rd round and then everything after that was a home tie against fellow Championship teams. Got spanked 3-0 by Man U at Wembley though but the money is nice and hopefully adds to the reputation of the club.

Finances sitting around 12m after the board splashed more cash on training ground/youth upgrades and finalising prep work on our new stadium, the Nicky Law Stadium, named for the other club legend aside from me. Also helped by the 5m I got from Leeds for my star CB after they activated his minimum fee and promptly never used him. I have some good CB's in and around the first team though so not a massive issue, would have been nice to get a higher fee though. I've started to push the boat out a bit more wages wise, got a freebie from Arsenal described as a wonder kid CB on a whopping 10k (!!!) a week. Got a couple of mids coming in on about 8k a week each, I've been quite strict and for the most part people are on 1-3k aside from a couple of star players. Hopefully moving to the new ground next year will help things with the increased ticket sales, we sellout every match currently at just under 6000. Finally bothered to ask for the U23 team as well so hopefully that should help with the youth team. TBH I normally just cherry pick the best guys and stick them straight in the first team but having the extra step on the way can't hurt. We've not been assigned a league yet, I believe it has something to do with the youth rating or facilities or something so hopefully we'll get a placement in the next few years as we keep upgrading.

For Norway, just did the 2026 World Cup in USA/Canada. Drawn in Group A with USA and Japan, beat America 3-0 in the opening game (or the GoGo Derby as it came to be known) before the same for Japan and then Venezuela in round 2. Round 3 we got England which I was resigned to receiving a bit of a spanking since in the qualifiers we never looked in either game against France. Suprisingly though, we took the lead early before they levelled at half time. We took the lead again in the 2nd before being pegged back again. Extra time went by without incident and England managed to England it by losing on penalties. Quarter Final not so happy, ended up losing 3-2 to Russia. I'm blaming losing my starting CB pair to suspension and the fact that everyone was bloody knackered. Haaland is currently top scorer with 6 but there's a couple of Italians and Portugese that might nick it off him since they're still going.

Getting to the quarters, combined with the selective friendlies I've been doing against higher ranked teams that I reckoned we could take (and usually we do win with relative ease) should hopefully propel us up the rankings. Think we were in the 40's when I took over a few years back, currently up to 24th. Team is a bit aging so need to have a poke around and find some replacements. Inexplicably, everyone seems to be in Italy. Bologna in particular seem to sign quite a few. Not sure if it's coincidence or not, I noticed in lollujo's Bourne save he got Mhyre from someone in Italy. Should be able to have a solid finish in the Nations League as I got Wales, Serbia and Greece. I've had previous with the latter two so should be able to get 2nd at the very least and get a good seeding in the Euro qualifiers.

• Like 2

15 games to go in my first season and we're sitting top, albeit with the top 6 covered by 6 points.

I've had too many silly draws at home against lower teams. Failing to really convert our chances which is frustrating. 

Part of me wishes we don't go up as I think we'll get killed in the VNL.

10 hours ago, Lineker said:

Oh Ed, we never deserved you to be PM.

• Sad 1

On 07/06/2020 at 22:41, metalman said:

isn't he just perfect 😍

I mean, apart from his weird baseball fetish and the Ed stone but you can't have it all

I imagine this is his half time team talk to inspire the players:

Nowt wrong with baseball.

• Like 2

Think I had Daniel Levy go full Brexit in my online save the other day. Kept blocking any transfer bid I made for a foreign player cause he was devastated I hadn’t signed enough English players :lol: Right little Englander.

In other news, for the third season in a row, I finished 4th. Think it's just hard-coded in to the game to be a bit Spursy tbh.

Tottenham Hotspur, a club founded in one of the poorest parts of London, are owned by ENIC, a company registered in the Bahamas, because they don't want to pay tax and support the hospitals, social care and education that many of the people of Tottenham need.

In spite of that they have recently borrowed £175m from the UK government and wanted taxpayers to pay to build their new stadium.

Maybe they should have borrowed it from the Bahamas government.

Sorry for sucking the fun out of everything...

Edited by metalman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1