Football Manager 2020

Lineker

5 hours ago, Naitch said:

Keep Jamil Adam as long as possible if you can, he can single handedly get you up to League 1 promotion contender over the course of about 5 seasons. Enzo Scorza, for the San Marino challenge, and Leigh Griffiths, for a Premier League relegation / Championship promotion dog fight, are only other two other players I've ever had get near Adam's level of domination.

You're not lying. I'm making a complete mockery of League Two. Just completed Boxing Day, and I'm 12 points clear. I was expecting to be sitting 15-20th at best. The only additions to the squad were bringing in Craig Sives, a Scottish CB, on a free from Shamrock Rovers when I got one of those inbox messages from his agent, and a 17-year old ST. I signed him back in January since he was still on a youth contract. I had to pay my first transfer fee for him - £5K - but worth it because I couldn't believe no one had signed him yet. He was playing Second Division N. Ireland football, and now he's sitting in 13g & 3a in 18 apps. He's not going to stay here long, West Ham are already sniffing around.

Jamil Adam is still my MVP - 14g and 7a in 22 apps - by far, but former Boro academy kid Nathan Porritt has 12 assists in only 17 appearances after failing to deliver that much in the Conference, Spurs academy product Jake Nicholson has been huge in midfield in his second season with me, one of my original CBs has a ridiculous 6 goals from set pieces, while Jordan Brown from West Ham and Ellis Deeney from Villa have been two other key free transfers after failing to make the grade with their clubs. 

The FA Cup is huge for me right now. Drew Leeds in the Second Round. They got relegated to League One in 2012/13, but look likely to head back up. They were 4th when I played them home. I was set to go out, but got a stoppage time equalizer. Was down 2-1 at halftime in the away return, but scored thanks to Chuks Aneke (loan from Arsenal) and an away goal to win. Those two matches have taken me from -£400K to only -£130K for the season. 3rd Round is home to Reading, now in the Prem. Hoping to force a draw to get two matches out of it and get enough money to be profitable.

The 2006/07 database was released. It's fun, but the guy who made it doesn't seem to have edited the budgets of teams in a way that makes sense. I have 47 million to spend as Newcastle. So I brought Igor Akinfeev, Nigel De Jong and a for some reason transfer listed Patrice Evra, along with some younger talents like Gareth Bale.

Newcastle's attack and midfield are fun in this. Owen, Martins, Shola and an-loan Rossi up front, with Scott Parker and his perfect hair in midfield, plus the likes of N'Zogbia on the wings.

I'm actually furious Tammy Abraham is being so good for me because it means I've got next to no chance of getting him permanently now <_<

Sorloth has also crocked himself now and is going to miss an important chunk of the final run-in.

Somehow second, 8 points behind Chelsea with 7 games to go. They've had a lead of about that all season, would take a disaster on their part to fuck it up but I'm still just hoping United and Spurs fuck up so I can stay in the Champions League spots. Champions League football with Crystal Palace sounds a laugh.

EDIT: Gave a good chase but Chelsea sealed the title with a game to spare by battering Brentford 9-1. Still, Champions League football, baby! :w00t:

Oh man, loving the financial benefits of the FA Cup. Drew Reading home for the 3rd Round. Drew 0-0 to force an away leg. Was down 1-0, but scored a set piece with under 10 to go to force extra time. Scored in the 98th minute, but they equalized right away. They then scored again early in the second half, but we equalized again to force penalties. My keeper saved 2, and we won! 4th Round: away to Man United. We lost 2-0 to a bunch of reserves and youth kids, but the money was huge.

I went from being -£400+K in the hole then the Second Round started with Leeds to being up £70K after winning at Reading. I just gained over a million pounds from the United match. Definitely going to make the club a profit this season!

I also got lucky because my 18 year old kid hurt his knee and couldn't pass a medical at West Ham, so I get to keep him for the rest of the season before the board sells him. Still, I'll have bought him for £5K and I'll sell him for at least £500K hopefully

Has salary ever mattered when it comes to yourself? Would that impact reputation or is it solely based on the teams you manage?

Also, I should finally be playing this in the next week or so, with my laptop arriving tomorrow. I have game pass ultimate until the end of June, so might as well get use out of it.

It was funny when I played FM20 while it was free, being the Chelsea manager meant I got the first achievement for career earnings around the same time that the first season began.

Meddling owners are the worst.  I'm at PAOK right now and the owner has a preference for Russian based players and seems to only bring it up when I really want to sign a player so I'm becoming a pension plan for aging Russian ex-internationals. Have Alan Dzagoev and Fedor Smolov on a combined £66K to sit on the bench and never play.

Nail biting stuff at Melbourne Victory at the moment. We've played all our regular season games and are two points inside the top six, which means entering the Finals Series. Three teams below us are within striking distance and have a game remaining. Luckily, they are all playing teams at the top and there is still a title fight on. 

I just finished a 10 year challenge as Portsmouth on FM12 (starting bottom of the Championship on -10pts due to administration) where I won the Premier League on the final day of the 10th season, despite losing 4-3 to Everton, because Chelsea lost 2-1 against Swansea. It looks like I get to end the save by taking England into the 2021 Confederations Cup after they won the 2018 World Cup under Alan Curbishley, who subsequently resigned for some reason.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, metalman said:

That’s not fair. Alan Curbishley was a great little coach. No idea why he just disappeared 

Because he dared to sue for wrongful dismissal which is a black mark for a football club to hire him.

Won the Carabao Cup and then the league on the last day by 2 points thanks to Southampton beating Liverpool 1-0! By only signing for the season was Willian Jose, who I brought in for round £40M as Harry Kane picked up an injury just before the January transfer window, also I figured Kane will get bought by PSG or someone eventually. And Vertonghen went out for £10M or so to China in January. After Kane came back Jose went on to displace Dele Alli as my first choice AMC. Not taking up the option to sign Gedson Fernandes as he wasn't able to break into the team. As it is I don't really have a place for Sissoko, Dier, Lamela and the soon to return Danny Rose.

Finished my first season with Edinburgh United scraping by a 20th place and just avoiding the drop (totally didn't have to reload 4 times, no siree)...

Managed to pick up some kids, and produce the most aggressively average seasons in VNN history

1KbMlA2.png

For people wondering, Goals were 39 made and 39 conceded. So I was a top 4 defense AND a #24 offense at the same time. How's that for being consistent?

But it's a good progress from surviving the drop with 38 points to entrenching myself in the middle of the table. Now hoping season 3 can help us make some leaps in terms of goal scoring production. I lost a few lads who wanted absurd wages, and who didn't stick around on non-contracts, also got teased hard by my academy producing a 5* potential striker, with great pace and finishing, but a pathetic 3 work rate :crying:

Hope I can stay in the mid table, the board is already looking beyond and at playoff competition. But I feel that's very much a bridge too far unless we can get some money into the team and stop hovering around break-even financially. The teams above can attract proper talent, especially offensive talent. And that's consistently the area we've been lacking in for the past two seasons. Brought in a young scot striker on a free, but every time I feel I had a good striker they didn't actually produce well enough, so i'm holding onto uncorking the champagne and expecting more goals than games this year...

On 08/04/2020 at 14:58, Jimmy said:

Probably gonna take a break before having a crack at fighting against relegation at Charlton. 

This was a disaster. Wasn't given a single penny to improve a League One standard squad. 

So I resigned. And managed to land the Swansea job, who sat bottom of the Premier League, big favourites to go down.

Haven't been able to lead them to a single win.

It's brutal.