Football Manager 2021

The Lusophone

I thought that would be something we'd see in the near future. I'd assume that it will only be a top leagues to begin with, but it could be a really interesting dynamic nevertheless. Transitioning between managing men's and women's teams should add another layer to career saves and gives more visibility to the women's game.

I'm struggling to think of any other features I'd greatly care to see added. I'd be happy enough for them to focus on improving the match engine and manager AI, and perhaps making international management a bit more interesting.

Great to see women's football added, there's a big long article on the website about what it entails and why they want to do it.

It doesn't sound like it will be in from this year though, due to them wanting to get it right and not just half-arse the implementation.

Be curious to see if that'd be like FIFA where the women's attributes exist in their own universe, so to speak, so the top women's players would be in the 90's (or like 15+ for FM) and it scales back from there. Or if the women would be on the same scale as the men and the average player would be comparable to non-league or something (example plucked from nowhere, not a comment on their skills. Not sure what an apt comparison would be?)

I can't imagine it'd happen but it would be amusing to see something in game years into a save where you could have women sign for men's teams, similar to how all the personality types, drunken 2am stumbling out of a nightclub headlines or coming out of the closet events pop up once all the real and, liable to be litigious, players have retired.

11 hours ago, Lineker said:

Blog post explaining it all.

A lot of thought going in to it which is great to see.

Ill be intrigued to see how the men’s and women’s teams interact within a club. I guess they’ll be affiliated to one another?

I have FM 20, and the latest transfer update release by FM Scout was the back end of last year, so I'd like to get that and then make changes myself, but it appears the editor isn't available on Steam? I can't even find the one for 21 either, just the paid versions. 

Any ideas @MadJack @Adam @Lineker?

Edit: I found it! Didn't check the Tools area.

1 minute ago, Baddar said:

I have FM 20, and the latest transfer update release by FM Scout was the back end of last year, so I'd like to get that and then make changes myself, but it appears the editor isn't available on Steam? I can't even find the one for 21 either, just the paid versions. 

Any ideas @MadJack @Adam @Lineker?

In your Steam games library, on the left-hand side, there's an arrow next to the "Games" tab. You should be able to tick "Tools" as well, which is where the editors are found.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2021 at 16:25, Naitch said:

I don't use it to track attributes, its there for me to keep my squad balanced and know what my rotation options are. Conditional formatting on current/potential ability, ages, and contract length to keep me aware of who might need replacing.

NERD

Comfortably got into the knockouts of the CL but lost out to Benfica in the first knockout round. Knockout rounds tend to be farily early into the season for Irish teams as it turns out. Which we can usually manage but in pre-season Joe Allen, Jayson Molumby, Jordan Graham and Alen Stojcevic all got injured. Ended up going out 4-1 on agg.

Neither Bray nor Shamrock Rovers got out of their groups. But Bray did beat Schalke 1-0. So they became the 2nd Irish team to ever win in the Champions League groups. Rovers won a game in the Europa as well winning their final group game 3-0 against Spartak Moscow.

Notable non-Parkvilla transfers in include:

Scott Sinclair, Wayne Hennesey and Rob Holding to Cork City
Stephen Darby from Brentford to Waterford

Ki Sung-Yeung has moved from Fiorentina to Waterford. Waterford also have a future transfer arranged to sign Ricky van Wolfswinkel.

Bray signed Hong Jeong-Ho from Derby. Meaning there are now 2 South Korean internationals in the LOI.

Ireland internationals Ciaran Clark and Alan Judge has joined Shamrock Rovers from Brentford. As have Joe Mason and Fraiser Forster.

Simon Church is now at Galway Utd. As is Rob Elliot (but he's been knocking around the LOI for a bit now having moved from Cork to Bohs and now to Galway)

Connor Sammon has traded Dundalk for Longford. And I don't know why it amuses me so but but Padraig Almod after trading Grimsby for 2 seasons at Drogheda Utd is now playing for non-league Letterkenny Rovers in the Ulster Senior League.

On 22/07/2021 at 18:29, Kyle. said:

Can't wait to demolish Europe as Glasgow City!

So I had a bit of an FM relapse during the Euros and haven't played since FM14. I love all the changes, the stats breakdown, the training management and a bunch of other things. I usually start off unemployed and work my way up, so I remembered the days when I'd take over at Weybridge, or Leixoes, or Queen's University Belfast.

NEW GAME!

Aruba hired me for some reason, maybe because I speak "basic" Dutch. Disastrous campaigns. No new talent to bring in.

This time it had me take over at Resources Capital in Hong Kong. Other than blind-signing a couple of Sint Maarten internationals, there's basically nothing I can do to improve the team, so I left before 6 months. They ended up in the lower-half and ended up losing the bottom-half table split, despite not having that bad of a team.

I have the new Scottish league pyramid activated, and took over at Clydebank (a previously successful and dissolved club). Pulled the teams from near relegation to 9th (mid-table) in 20/21.

WIN the West of Scotland Premier Division 21/22 by 3 points on the final day. Beat Jeanfield Swifts (East Champions), then Abbey Vale (South Champions) to win unlikely PROMOTION from this tier.

Immediately WIN the Lowland League 22/23 on goal difference. WIN the play-off against Highland champions Formartine (5-4 on aggregate) to win a chance to face Albion Rovers from League Two in a relegation/promotion play-off. WHICH WE WON 4-2 TO GAIN PROMOTION AGAIN.

Immediately WIN League Two 23/24, by a single point on the final day of the season again. Automatic PROMOTION (what a life not having to face convoluted play-offs while all your players want to fuck off).

So in four seasons Clydebank have went from almost falling off the face of Scottish football to being League One (tier 3) contenders. The board are still not investing anything so I'm not sure what magic I can produce but I just signed Gibraltarian international Dylan Borge.

The main reason I've been able to get promoted again and again is Jack Butler. I blind-signed him from Ashington on a free and he has scored 25 in 14 (saved from relegation), 35 in 33, 35 in 34, 34 in 32 and he's managing to still stay in my first team for League One. Pretty amazing to see a player grow with the club promotion. The scouting system has forced me to get creative with leagues to look at.

I've tried blind-signing some lads from the upper Northern Irish leagues but they are absolutely shite when they arrive. I have since erred on the side of caution and abuse trials just to see how good certain guys on frees will be. Same for the Hong Kong league. Having to find British or Irish nationals anywhere I can to get them cheap and unscouted by rivals has been bloody hard. Gibraltar, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, I've been scraping around for valuable regens. I just don't have the funds to compete at League One for long.

One thing I hate the most about these new team meeting things is when it's final game of the season, or a cup final, or a clincher game of some sort. It doesn't matter what you say to the players, they have an absolute tantrum. Like, gee, sorry I was just being my usual encouraging self. Just go out and win. Wankers.

I've been terrible at international level. Since disappointing with Aruba, I've tried my best with Yemen (they are doing way better now that I've left), bombed hard with Algeria including getting 0 points at the Cup of Nations, got bored with UAE and Trinidad and Tobago (not much I could change to their existing teams), and now I'm in charge of Palestine. Palestine have some interesting dual national regens, so I could actually do something interesting with them. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

I've always sucked at international level too.

There should be a couple posts back when I had a career I was managing Nigeria, failed to qualify o the world cup and then jumped ship to Japan who had already qualified to the World Cup.

Obviously I screwed Japan's chances too.

• Haha 1

For the first season that St. Pauli is going into the Champions League we also get to open our fancy new stadium, 40K near all-seater which is an upgrade over our 30k(12.7K seat) stadium.

EXCEPT THERE ARE NO BLOODY CORNER STANDS! :angry:

It's literally just four stands in the cardinal directions with a bloody hamburger stand plopped in between. In a 40K stadium in the German Top League.

I'm genuinely contemplating getting an FMRTE license just so I can fix that shit because I don't want to look at the stadium that put us in the hole and isn't even nice to look at in game.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, JasonM said:

It's literally just four stands in the cardinal directions with a bloody hamburger stand plopped in between.

Odd for them to put a snack stand on the pitch like that.

Guys. I've just installed the "real" regen faces mod and good lord. Amazing stuff. I've had to put the unique IDs on so I can figure out who's a regen and who isn't. Unbelievable stuff. I hope SI buy the project and incorporate it. Feels like a game changer.

• Like 2