Football Manager 2018

Lineker

12 hours ago, MexicoJack said:

image.png

Just... how...

Pictured: Maniz' GK

Neo_stops_bullets_2.JPG

The thing is they're still miles ahead of everyone else, even with all their problems. Most sports management simulators have it easy because they don't have any competition whatsoever. There aren't a lot of companies developing those games.

That's not even the case with Football, where there have been loads and there are still a few around that we barely hear about because of how far ahead FM is, quality and marketing wise. Many of them disappear after a few years. It's a mountain to climb.

It feels like FM's dominance won't be threatened for as long as they release new versions of their game. It will be like that, even if all they do is updating teams and stats. Why bother?

I know that's what you meant, but I don't think it will change.

2 hours ago, Benji said:

I am starting to wish there was decent competition for FM. They seem to be spending a lot of time working on aesthetics that add very little and not much time fixing engines that have been broken for years now.

What happened to Eidos' Championship Manager? Did it just fail and cease to exist? Do Eidos even exist anymore?

3 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

What happened to Eidos' Championship Manager? Did it just fail and cease to exist? Do Eidos even exist anymore?

Eidos became Square Enix Europe in 2009 and the Championship Manager series - which had been limping along ever since the split with SI - ceased to exist last month when the three or four iOS and Android Championship Manager games were removed from app stores.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

The last full one was 2010 which was so successful they had a "pay as you want" promotion for a digital copy of the game. There was a 2011 version for iPhones.

Eidos were bought out by Square Enix.

• Like 1

I remember wondering if most customers would buy the Championship Manager games once SI left Eidos and started the Football Manager games because they didn't realise what had happened. As it turned out, Championship Manager 5 was delayed and was beaten to the punch by Football Manager 2005 anyway. Any potential benefit from naming confusion died pretty much there and then.

So speaking of Champ Man, in my 01/02 game: resigned from Alverca in the mid point of the third season with them, and jumped over to MLS with Tampa Mutiny. So another club that doesn’t exist anymore.

Won MLS two years in a row, then on the third season won the CONCACAF Champs Cup and ticked off one continent finally.

Now I’m in Brazil with a club who just finally got in the Division 3, and had *one* player when I signed. I’ve just filled it out with under-18s and we’re somehow surviving in the State Championship for now.

Its pretty frustrating though, as even though I’m ranked something like 18th best Manager in the world, no club will take me <_< 

15 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I remember wondering if most customers would buy the Championship Manager games once SI left Eidos and started the Football Manager games because they didn't realise what had happened. As it turned out, Championship Manager 5 was delayed and was beaten to the punch by Football Manager 2005 anyway. Any potential benefit from naming confusion died pretty much there and then.

I remember thinking the same but at the time (and still go on occasionally) I was a very active user on the SI forums and it was always extremely busy so I think most knew and I imagine those who didn't would have known someone who was.

Technically Football Manager 2005 was the successor to Championship Manager 03/04 as SI owned the code and database. Eidos just owned the name.

Went back to my fm16 rich league of Ireland game.

Shane Long is at Waterford banging in 5 goals in one game.

Inler and Papiss Cisse are at Dundalk. 

Still lost to my parkvilla team 5-2 in the opening game.

11 hours ago, Nelson said:

I remember thinking the same but at the time (and still go on occasionally) I was a very active user on the SI forums and it was always extremely busy so I think most knew and I imagine those who didn't would have known someone who was.

Technically Football Manager 2005 was the successor to Championship Manager 03/04 as SI owned the code and database. Eidos just owned the name.

Yeah, at the time I bought CM 4 or whatever it was called but it was just not anywhere near as good and when FM 2005 I bought that and need looked back. Was a brilliant game that, probably 3rd all-time for me behind FM 08 and CM 01/02, which was the peak of the old-style games.

6 minutes ago, PanamAdam said:

Yeah, at the time I bought CM 4 or whatever it was called but it was just not anywhere near as good and when FM 2005 I bought that and need looked back. Was a brilliant game that, probably 3rd all-time for me behind FM 08 and CM 01/02, which was the peak of the old-style games.

That was CM5. CM 4 was the last or second to last SI game, first one to have the 2d pitch as well.

• Thanks 1

The 2d pitch was a wonderful invention. Really made the game so much better which seemed an impossible task at the time. I've completely lost interest since they moved to 3d and put their efforts into making that look good when it's just never been the point of CM/FM.

2 minutes ago, PanamAdam said:

The 2d pitch was a wonderful invention. Really made the game so much better which seemed an impossible task at the time. I've completely lost interest since they moved to 3d and put their efforts into making that look good when it's just never been the point of CM/FM.

You can still use 2D though, I'm pretty sure.

1 minute ago, Colombaddar said:

You can still use 2D though, I'm pretty sure.

You can aye, but they seem to put considerable effort into 3d each year to the detriment of other stuff, which I understand but doesn't suit me personally.

11 minutes ago, PanamAdam said:

You can aye, but they seem to put considerable effort into 3d each year to the detriment of other stuff, which I understand but doesn't suit me personally.

Yeah there's a serious disconnect between the game engine and the 3d match engine, which is why there's so many issues with weird stuff going on in 3d mode.

• Like 1